Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Help choosing amp for UFO style BTL 12"?


RowdyMoody

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello, I have a UFO style 12" BTL, 2ohm DVC. I am currently running it off of an Alpine MRP-M500 amp, and I would like to upgrade to a bigger amp for it.

I was told I can push 2,000 watts RMS to this sub daily, but I don't want to shorten the life-span of the sub by doing so. Also, I do not want to get a high output alternator, as I will be getting a new car in the next year or so. I will be doing my big 3 upgrade though.

How big of an amp can I push this sub with without having to do any electrical system upgrades aside from the big 3? I guess I could add a battery in the mix if I have to, as I can take that with me when I get a new car.

Any suggestions on how much power I should feed this guy with nothing but a big 3 upgrade? Also if anyone has any suggestions on particular amps for it I would be appreciative.

Thanks for any input on the matter!

Posted

If you don't want to shorten the life of the sub then maybe stick to RMS. :unknw:

  • pa-pa-platypus

  • sorry not everybody has a companies nuts so far down their throat they catch every drop ball sweat when it falls

Posted

Thanks captain obvious lol. The problem is I am not exactly sure what the RMS of the sub is, I bought it used from a pawn shop and they couldn't tell me anything about it. It was a journey in itself just finding out what model Fi I had.

I was *told* that the sub can take 2,000 watts RMS. I can't find any sort of info online about it.

Posted

Have you emailed FI for the specs? That would be the easiest and safest way to find out your answer. The manufacture would be the first place i would start.

truthsayer

Posted

Yeah, I have been in contact with Fi through email about it. In my last response sent to them I asked about what RMS they would recommend I put on it. But I havn't gotten a reply yet.

Regarding the other issue of how much power I might be able to get away with without upgrading my electrical aside from a big 3 upgrade, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on that? I don't have means to check my alternators output, so it is kind of a shot in the dark. would 1500 watts be too much you think?

Posted

You really have to know if it has the cooling option if you want to know the max RMS. Without cooling, it was rated 2000 RMS. With cooling, it was rated 2500 RMS.

It will handle more, but the issue is more in the mechanical power handling than the thermal RMS. Mechanical power handling is all on you - box design, type of music, amp settings, etc.

I ran 4000 RMS to my UFO's daily without an issue, but I have seen people rip them apart on 2000. . .

As far as the max your vehicle can handle - what vehicle? Really need to know alt and battery size to make an educated guess. I have been running ~2000 watts in my 2011 silverado for over 60,000 miles with NO changes to the electrical system (still has the factory battery) and no problems.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Posted

You really have to know if it has the cooling option if you want to know the max RMS. Without cooling, it was rated 2000 RMS. With cooling, it was rated 2500 RMS.

It will handle more, but the issue is more in the mechanical power handling than the thermal RMS. Mechanical power handling is all on you - box design, type of music, amp settings, etc.

I ran 4000 RMS to my UFO's daily without an issue, but I have seen people rip them apart on 2000. . .

As far as the max your vehicle can handle - what vehicle? Really need to know alt and battery size to make an educated guess. I have been running ~2000 watts in my 2011 silverado for over 60,000 miles with NO changes to the electrical system (still has the factory battery) and no problems.

Bassically what he said. That sub can take alot of power. Personally ran 2 18s on 4500rms for months and never an issue Ran 7k to one of them No issues.

So if you keep power clean 2k is not an issue whatsoever

If you dont mind me asking, Whatd you pay for it?

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Posted

It's a 2k sub but the UFO has more linear motor force than any of the BTLs except for the N3. How do people find these woofer at pawn shops? LOL

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Posted

It's a 2k sub but the UFO has more linear motor force than any of the BTLs except for the N3. How do people find these woofer at pawn shops? LOL

Thats why im wonderin what he paid. He must have gotten a killer deal.

Awsome subs. I regret selling mine

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Posted

I would wheel and deal to get some UFO, n2, or n3 12s

2004 Grand Prix GT

(2) 12" RE XXXs (04/05 XBL^2)

5 cu. ft tuned @ 35 Hz

MMATS HD4000.05

MMATS SQ4100

Infinity Kappa components

Juice Box black cherry

Duralast platinum group 34

1/0 KNU OFC, 2/0 welding

Singer 250A

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3403 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...