2 way enough or go 3 way

ROLEXrifleman

why let the 4" do all the work? dont cross over the 6.5 on the top end ... just let the speakers natural roll off be the crossover ... you will have alot better mid bass impact and clarity .... why buy a 100,000 super car and only drive it 5 mph in a parade. thats what you would be doing with the 6.5

why let the 4" do all the work? dont cross over the 6.5 on the top end ... just let the speakers natural roll off be the crossover ...

Why not? You'd be letting the speaker play into a potentially nasty sounding range where modes change the response into an FR mess. It's safer to assume a woofer or mid needs a low pass filter than to let it roll off naturally, plus even with a low pass filter the response needs EQ since the speakers are in a car.

The Boston Pro is a beast speaker which I use to own personally. I ran the 6.53 passive and once I went active talk about waking up the beast.....

I'd cross the 6.5 from 50-60 up to about 180/200 run the 4" from 200 - 5k then tweeter from 5k and up.... EQ accordingly from their.

However, before any of that make sure the placements are optimal. Try to keep the 4" and tweeter close together as possible.

why let the 4" do all the work? dont cross over the 6.5 on the top end ... just let the speakers natural roll off be the crossover ...

Why not? You'd be letting the speaker play into a potentially nasty sounding range where modes change the response into an FR mess. It's safer to assume a woofer or mid needs a low pass filter than to let it roll off naturally, plus even with a low pass filter the response needs EQ since the speakers are in a car.

then i guess my 5.25 crossed over at 38hz 12db with no high pass and my tweeter crossed at 2500hz is suppose to sound terrible :-/

Archived