Second Skin Audio

Sealing Off Trunk

Sidekicker

Hey guys, I'm getting rid of my current car and switching over to a 2008 Honda Civic and i was hoping to get some advice from people who are familiar with trunks(I had a Suzuki Sidekick, so the box was practically right behind my seat). I am planning on running 2(maybe 3 if the box isn't huge) sa-10s off of a T1500-1BDCP. I am not sure of the sub/port orientation although I have heard from a couple other civic owners that subs back port to the side works well and limits rattles. But my main question is: I want to build an amp rack right behind the rear seats that would essentially seal off the trunk by placing a piece of MDF across the entire opening between the trunk and the seats.This would give me a nice clean space to mount my amps, distribution, and processor but i was not sure how it would effect the sound of the subs by essentially sealing them in the trunk. Is this a bad idea? I also plan on deadening the rear deck, and i do not want to port the box through it. Sorry for the long winded questions, heres basically what im asking:

1.) What is your preference for sub/port orientation in a trunk?

2.) Will it affect my subs to seal off the trunk/rear seat opening with an amp rack?

Thanks!

sealing the subs off from the cabin will block all sound waves from entering the cabin, assuming a 100% seal. Seal the subs facing forward. Make your amp rack at the back of your car.

i dont know what trunk car has been "louder" unsealed rather than sealed facing forward, but that is just my own experience.

That's what I was thinking, that it would completely block the sound waves. But what is the best way to completely seal the box to the opening? I'd rather not use spray foam or anything crazy like that. I can build the box to the same angle as the opening and push it up tight against it, but it seems that that would not be a 100% seal. What are some of the methods of sealing the box to the carpeted opening?

remove the carpet and get it down to bare metal, then use spray foam. cut off excess spray foam and then re carpet over it and trim it out however you want.

without foam, you could try weather stripping or some type of removable foam and wedge it, but in my expericne ive learned if something is removable, its going to come lose fast.

Look at grayta's build thread on here. He sealed off a 2012 ford focus. Its not the way every one normally does it but it worked for him.

2012 Chevy sonic1xSQ HDC3 12 D2RF R1200d

140 square foot of Q-Mat(soon to be installed)

140.2Db sealed on the dash with TL

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

strangeduck,on 02 Jan 2014 - 01:39 AM, said:

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

142 DB sealed on the dash with another meter (was dead on with the TL at a show i was at)

141 on music.

when my car spins out i just put the car in neutral, turn in the direction i want to go and pucker my asshole

Look at grayta's build thread on here. He sealed off a 2012 ford focus. Its not the way every one normally does it but it worked for him.

Thanks for the link, I just read through his build and it gave me a couple ideas. His method of sealing off was similar to what i was thinking, with gorilla tape and deadener. However at the end of his log he switched to subs forward/port drivers side and said that was louder. Does anyone else have any experience with this? From the limited research i have done port to the side seems to perform well in most cases.

We cant really tell you. It wirks great for his car and his set up and it may not be the same for you. The only really way to tell is to test different boxes

141 on music.

I have an 06 Civic Sedan, and Im diogn sub forward sealed with port up. You're welcome to follow mine if you'd like. The link is in my signature.

I've been told by several people that port on the driver side is louder that middle or passenger, but I think at the end of the day it depends on what you're doing, competing or like me daily enjoyment, and things of that nature. Lots of variables. I shutter to think that my design isn't going to work well, only cause I've spent so much time on it, but at the same time, the only way you can figure out what your car does, is by building it in your car. Or someone with the same exact car having the different experiences.

I've personally only had sealed enclosure facing back, also out of the cubbies in the rear of the trunk facing center and those were for sq. I had an IB set up with 2 15's and they were pretty loud. I've had ported enclosure with 2 12's facing back and it was nice, but the closer the enclosure was to the rear wall/back seat the quietter it got.

All about preference though.

I have an 06 Civic Sedan, and Im diogn sub forward sealed with port up. You're welcome to follow mine if you'd like. The link is in my signature.

I've been told by several people that port on the driver side is louder that middle or passenger, but I think at the end of the day it depends on what you're doing, competing or like me daily enjoyment, and things of that nature. Lots of variables. I shutter to think that my design isn't going to work well, only cause I've spent so much time on it, but at the same time, the only way you can figure out what your car does, is by building it in your car. Or someone with the same exact car having the different experiences.

I've personally only had sealed enclosure facing back, also out of the cubbies in the rear of the trunk facing center and those were for sq. I had an IB set up with 2 15's and they were pretty loud. I've had ported enclosure with 2 12's facing back and it was nice, but the closer the enclosure was to the rear wall/back seat the quietter it got.

All about preference though.

Port orientation is car dependent IMO

I did a drivers port trunk set up forward and it was weak compared to center port.

Archived