2009 Nissan Maxima: Nexus 7 in Dash, Pioneer, Alpine, LEDs

Really happy with how it turned out. Basically I used just the plasti dip and did tons of far away light coats (probably 20-30 really light coats at all different angles). Created a really nice textured effect. The black is a little deeper than the stock interior but I really can't complain. Now my PAC SWI-PS stopped working. The light blinks when pressing the steering wheel control meaning it is getting signal, but is not controlling the stereo at all. I've tried everything. I think the headphone part is broken. I'm ordering my Nexus 7 this week. it looks like I have another project in the mix.

Just a note. I had to extend the wiring harness for the HVAC screen because there was just not enough slack to prevent it from blocking the back of the stereo. I just used insulating butt connectors and heat shrink.

IMAG0848-L.jpg

IMAG0850-L.jpg

IMAG0849-L.jpg

IMAG0851-L.jpg

I'm thinking I'm just gonna go buy and Axxess ASWC-1. They seem to have a lot better reviews with people. I might possibly take out the wiring harness and completely redo it. I'm doing some testing today to see if I can fix it. Would rather not put another $30 into this build. As of now that is priority on on the list until I get my Nexus 7. I'm also planning a fiberglass sub stage at some point but that will be on hold until the temperature gets above 60 degrees. I'll get a better picture when it's light out. I'm using my HTC Evo 4G LTE camera. Sorry it's all I got.

2009 Nissan Maxima SV Super Black KH3
  • Hardwired Beltronics 955 Radar
  • Pioneer DEH-M9400BH with Stock Bose Speakers
  • Custom fiberglass HVAC display
  • Nexus 7 Tablet w/ Custom Fiberglassed Magnet dock
  • KnuKonceptz Big 3 and wiring
  • 2 Alpine Type E 10's with Alpine MRP-M500

Build Log HERE

Man, that turned out really nice! Very well done!

On another note, the Axxess ASWC-1 is way better than the PAC in my opinion. NO programming at all, unless you want to do other than what it's pre programmed to do. For example, in my civic, it's programmed so that channel up and down buttons, scan up and down instead of it being the presets up and down. So I'm going to change that to presets. Anyway, it's a great unit.

You may also, try and unplug it for a while. With mine, the Axxess one, it was acting all funky and I thought it was broken. But I unplugged it, and that was when I did my battery and cable swap in the engine bay so there was no power going anywhere. Then I got it all hooked back up after a couple of days of working on it, and it works fine now, like back to normal. SO I don't know. Just something else to try.

Keep up the good work man!

Man, that turned out really nice! Very well done!

On another note, the Axxess ASWC-1 is way better than the PAC in my opinion. NO programming at all, unless you want to do other than what it's pre programmed to do. For example, in my civic, it's programmed so that channel up and down buttons, scan up and down instead of it being the presets up and down. So I'm going to change that to presets. Anyway, it's a great unit.

You may also, try and unplug it for a while. With mine, the Axxess one, it was acting all funky and I thought it was broken. But I unplugged it, and that was when I did my battery and cable swap in the engine bay so there was no power going anywhere. Then I got it all hooked back up after a couple of days of working on it, and it works fine now, like back to normal. SO I don't know. Just something else to try.

Keep up the good work man!

Thanks, I'm really liking how the Civic is coming along. I'm going to unplug it and take it apart. I think the headphone wire part broke on the inside as I was seeing some fraying coming from the base. Thankfully, I wire everything so it can be remove individually. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem as well. I think I'm just going to Ebay an Axxess and get it over with. This PAC thing has caused me so many headaches. To bad it's 7 degrees out and I don't have a garage for work. I'm going to go ahead and wire the accessory outlet for the tablet and probably run my remote and RCA wires today just so I don't have to mess with the stereo anymore.

Build Log HERE

Just an update. Apparently the headphone side of the PAC SWI-PS had completely tore off when I removed it. Took about an hour of fine soldering to get wire attached back to the chipset. Everything is fine and working now. I ended up getting a "soft bricked" nexus 7 (2012 model) off a guy on eBay for $70. Part of my other hobbies are rooting and modding phones so I know exactly how to get it working again. I got the accessory port wired today along with resoldering the wiring harness. Should be starting on the nexus mount sometime next week. Got some ideas brewing in my head at the gym today.

Build Log HERE

Wow that turned out great! Can't wait to see the tablet installed.

Thanks man, if you know anything about the Nexus 7 it comes with these things called pogo mounts on the side. I bought the official dock which allows charging through the the side instead of the bottom. It will basically allow for a much more compact method of charging vs having a huge micro usb sticking out the side. The threshold is very small on these pins so I will have to figure out a way to keep it completely stable. More fiberglass coming.

Build Log HERE

Wow that turned out great! Can't wait to see the tablet installed.

Thanks man, if you know anything about the Nexus 7 it comes with these things called pogo mounts on the side. I bought the official dock which allows charging through the the side instead of the bottom. It will basically allow for a much more compact method of charging vs having a huge micro usb sticking out the side. The threshold is very small on these pins so I will have to figure out a way to keep it completely stable. More fiberglass coming.

I didn't know it had that style mount. Great info. The micro usb style would definitely be a pain to deal with for a dash install.

Some of the older nexus devices have something called a Pogo port on the side. It isn't really a port, more of a set of 4 contacts. It allows for charging and playing music while horizontally docked. Look up Nexus 7 pogo and you will see what I am talking about. The Nexus 4 and 10 have it as well. Not quite sure about the 5 which I think is going to be my next phone. What issues are you having with you USB? Let me guess. It has weird charging issues. I know you have a Samsung Galaxy SIII. Samsungs are complete pieces of crap. Every Samsung I've ever owned has had the USB port go to hell. You can try to resolder a new one on the chipset. I had to do it to my brother's Galaxy SII. I basically used a heat gun and ordered a new usb port from Ebay. Incredibly hard to do.

Build Log HERE

Archived