Second Skin Audio

JL 8w3: 0, Grungy Old Shop Woofers: 2

bbeljefe

I had to sell them because I had a speeding ticket I received ever so graciously from the state of Missouri

I don't know what exactly the problem was but I've built a number of transmission lines and I've never had a problem with the subs bottoming out. Even the JLs in the box above didn't bottom out... the surround just failed. That said, I can make these little subs reach xmax but I don't have problems with them reaching xmech, and I've done them for everything from 6.5" to 15" subs, with as much as 6kW on one setup.

It's hard to tell from your pictures but it looks like your loading chamber is too big and the line is too short. In fact, it looks like the line is tuned at about 70 Hz, which is way too high for a sub with an Fs of about ~33 Hz and that would certainly cause the subs to unload and reach xmech. Even high quality ones.

the picture does no justice on how big the actual box was.. the box was tuned to 43 hz. yes the exit port was a little on the big side. but for the vehicle it worked out perfectly. tuned a little high for my taste. but for everyday use on music, it would hold it's own.

If it was perfect then why did the subs unload? I'm not trying to annoy you but you contradict yourself when you say your subs unloaded and then in the next post say they performed perfectly. And yeah, any time you tune a line above the driver's Fs, you are going to have problems with performance. At or below Fs is a must for a ¼ wave t-line.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

I had to sell them because I had a speeding ticket I received ever so graciously from the state of Missouri

I don't know what exactly the problem was but I've built a number of transmission lines and I've never had a problem with the subs bottoming out. Even the JLs in the box above didn't bottom out... the surround just failed. That said, I can make these little subs reach xmax but I don't have problems with them reaching xmech, and I've done them for everything from 6.5" to 15" subs, with as much as 6kW on one setup.

It's hard to tell from your pictures but it looks like your loading chamber is too big and the line is too short. In fact, it looks like the line is tuned at about 70 Hz, which is way too high for a sub with an Fs of about ~33 Hz and that would certainly cause the subs to unload and reach xmech. Even high quality ones.

the picture does no justice on how big the actual box was.. the box was tuned to 43 hz. yes the exit port was a little on the big side. but for the vehicle it worked out perfectly. tuned a little high for my taste. but for everyday use on music, it would hold it's own.

If it was perfect then why did the subs unload? I'm not trying to annoy you but you contradict yourself when you say your subs unloaded and then in the next post say they performed perfectly. And yeah, any time you tune a line above the driver's Fs, you are going to have problems with performance. At or below Fs is a must for a ¼ wave t-line.

Not contradicting myself. for the setup it worked perfect. At full Tilt it would bottom out... but I don't do competitions, so there's no reason for me to ride around with my radio at full tilt just to see how many car alarms i could set off in a one mile radius. I'm not trying to argue i'm just stating my opinion. which is sometimes harder to get the point across without debate. don't worry about trying to annoy me.. I hardly ever post anything.. most of the time i'm just looking at all the other post. because i'm at work.. so it's hard for me to reply to any posts without being 30 post too late on a reply. (just throwing a number out there).

I say it worked perfect for me because I didn't have the amp over powering the subs, but at full tilt, yes it would unload, but I very seldom had the radio load enough to bottom out the subs... so.. Yes it worked. but then again it didn't really work at times.. but those are far and few in between if that makes since. Call it what you want. I'll say it worked for me lol. and don't worry, If I put myself in a place for bashing.. I welcome all comments... It's a forum. and I don't get butt hurt lol

Archived