Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box Build Help for 2 JL Audio 15w2d2-d4


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey everyone,

Im new to posting here but have been lurking here for a long time. I recentley aquired 2 JL Audio 15w3v2-d4s and want to build a proper box for them. The box they came in is way off and sounds like crap. Its way to small small and tuned way to high for my liking (44hz).

These are going in a 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara and will be powered by a infinity refenece series 1210a rated at 854w @ 4 ohms. I know i could get more power out of the amp @ 2 ohms, but the subs cant be wired that way and the amp isnt 1 ohm stable. I'm not going for numbers on a meter and this will by my daily driver for music, but I like it loud and low.

I have been playing with torres and google sketch up and just need some opinions and help.

I wanted to subs up ports back, but I dont have the depth to do it (I think). The depth available isnt deep enough to get the proper tuning that I can come up with. So I'm going to have to go subs back port passenger side. Unless one of the gurus here can figure out subs up ports back for me.

I called JL for the specs on the box for these subs and the info they gave me was 7.0ft net, 30sqin of port area 9 inch long. That seems wierd to me though as its only calling for 4.28 of port area per cu. ft. and that seems really low.

This is what I came up with with torres and sketch up. Please look it over and let me know what you think.

My max dimensions are 40w x 25h x 17d

sketchup_zps86fe2cb1.png

torres_zpsbb47cba5.png

Posted

Do a double layer baffle and some front to back crossbeaces, maybe distance a bit the subs from each other.

Everytime I see someone doing a box for these subs I really think if it's worth doing such a gigantic box for some 500W subs, a waste of time IMHO.

Posted

Port area and box volume have nothing to do with one another. Port area is dependent on tuning frequency and xmax. Your subs don't have much xmax, therefore they don't need a lot of port area.

And speaking of port area... four 4" ports is 50in² of port area and you need 30. I like a lot of port area but with these subs, I would not exceed what the manufacturer recommends because they're subject to unload. Especially the one right above the end of the ports.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 3059 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...