Second Skin Audio

Subwoofers better then alpine type r?

avenged4life

Good afternoon everyone! I have a custom box with 2 Alpine type r 12 inch subwoofers in it. Its at about 3.5 Cubic feet and around the 34 hz mark in a ported box. The subwoofers are currently up firing with port back.The subwoofers are set up on an alpine pdx 1000.1 set up right at the 1k watt mark. The subwoofers already hit super loud and clean but I'm a major bass head and am looking for advice on either changing the box for them to get louder or maybe a different subwoofer around the price of 400 for 2. If you advise any subwoofers that have rms that aren't generally right or anything make sure to also post what rms you think I should be running them at. Any information is greatly appreciated ! Thanks, Ryan

Also if there are any specials being ran on any websites right now that are a must have let me know! I might be able to stretch for something amazing :D

If there is something that you think I can find on craigslist or anything like that for below 400 for 2 also let me know, I just want something that is still super clean and loud, they are going in the trunk of a 1997 bmw m3 sedan.

if your Gonna upgrade you're subs to more than 1000w rms then you need a bigger amp! and your subs are only getting 500w rms. you should get a new amp before subs. I'm running type rs the newest ones. they have 2.3 cubes each so your box is kinda small and your giving them half power. you can put the best subs in the world in your car but if you Choke them on air space and give them half power you'll still be disappointed!

better subs than type rs for $200 a pop? I'm not a alpine nuthugger but idk Man. what rs are you running? the newest ones can be had for $180 a pop and they're 1000w rms a piece. i forget that the old type rs have really low ratings. I'm selling mine but want more than 400 cuz the box will go with them. and if your craigslist is anything like mine you wont find anything good, just jl and kicker and a ass load of type rs!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

if your Gonna upgrade you're subs to more than 1000w rms then you need a bigger amp! and your subs are only getting 500w rms.

Your logic is pretty much confusing me.... they are ran in series at 2 ohms on a monoblock with an rms of 1k watts.... *sigh*

But everyone else thank you for your answers haha :D

Ab xfl 12"s but you would need a bigger box and a ton more power, around 4.5-5 cubes tuned to 33-34hz with around 70-75sq in of port and 3-3.5k would be a beast little set up

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Which one is better is hard to say.

I personally prefer FI's gear because subs is all they do and they have a pretty stellar track record. A base SSD will take 1200 clean watts all day. an optioned out ssd might take closer to 1700-1800 watts.

A SA-12 will take 600-800 all day. maybe more

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

whatever the woofer is rated at. if you're going to use that alpine amp, and you want to use two woofers, you need dual 2 ohm woofers. that way you can reach 2 ohms. but if you get a different amp that makes most of its power at 1 ohm, you wont be able to use those woofers. unless you want to use half the new amps potential.

i was assuming you had the same type rs as me. my type rs are 1000w a piece. your amp would give them 500w a pop. i was trying to say if your looking for a better sub you need a better amp. i forgot that the other Gens of the rs have much lower rms ratings. sorry for the confusion

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff