Trill Posted February 8, 2014 Author Report Posted February 8, 2014 Port per cube means nothing. A driver needs to have X amount of port based on a couple a parameters along with the desired tuned frequency. Net volume does not affect the amount needed. For your question about how far away from the back of the wall the port should be, it should be as far from the back as the opening is wide. So let's say that the port is 12.5" x 6". The port would need to be 6" away from the back of the wall. How can I figure out how much port a sub needs? And thanks for the clarification about the port distance from back wall. Minnesota! Y U NO GET WARM!
Krakin Posted February 8, 2014 Report Posted February 8, 2014 Sorry I forgot to add this into the post. This is a calculator that will get you real close to what you can get from formulas. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Trill Posted February 8, 2014 Author Report Posted February 8, 2014 How does this look? I have not taken into account for bracing. How would I go about bracing and how much space would it take up? Minnesota! Y U NO GET WARM!
Krakin Posted February 8, 2014 Report Posted February 8, 2014 Make sure you take in account for the displacement of having a doubled up port. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Trill Posted February 8, 2014 Author Report Posted February 8, 2014 I think the calculator took care of that because I told it my port was 1.5" thick Minnesota! Y U NO GET WARM!
audiA6_audio Posted February 8, 2014 Report Posted February 8, 2014 Make sure you take in account for the displacement of having a doubled up port. just looking at the torres sheet, i could be wrong, but i beleive by selecting the wood thickness at 1.5" it assumes all surfaces are included. that would only lead me to beleive that the port walls are included. also just above that is a box labeled " port thickness" the value being 1.5"
Trill Posted February 8, 2014 Author Report Posted February 8, 2014 Thats a good question. Can anyone tell me how I should punch that into the torres? This is my first time around here and I'm teaching myself so any help is greatly appreciated! BTW: I manually entered the port thickness to 1.5 otherwise it was blank' Minnesota! Y U NO GET WARM!
audiA6_audio Posted February 8, 2014 Report Posted February 8, 2014 Here's some bracing options. would help brace top to bottom, front baffle as well as outside to rear wall. all together the bracing takes up .18775 ft^3 bracing comprised of scrap .75 flat stock as well as 1.5" diameter dowel materials are your choice. Also note the lapping of layers in building the enclosure. I'm no expert but i do believe that this may in fact aid to the integrity and strength of the enclosure when done correctly (could be wrong, here's some pics) and a close up with measurements Hope you dont mind the color changes (i HATE looking at that plain white lol)
Trill Posted February 8, 2014 Author Report Posted February 8, 2014 Thats nice! I like how you have it put together. Do the dowels really help that much? It just seems that this thing would be a tank without them but I'm no expert. I plan on using resin on the entire inside as well. Is that a box you have made yourself? IRL Minnesota! Y U NO GET WARM!
audiA6_audio Posted February 8, 2014 Report Posted February 8, 2014 dowels do help (imo) the way i see it they are cheap/lightweight/strong (usually tight grain) and effective. resining the inside will do wonders giving you extra rigidity! and a bit of weight lol well worth it. I actually just used your numbers and threw it together on sketchup. i can post a couple pics of an eclosure i did for a hcca12 using resin and dowels if youd like. used .75" mdf all around with a double face baffle (1.5")
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.