Second Skin Audio

Enclosure help please :)

REH

Well, I've quitely watched these forums for quite some time and I've finally decided to make the first post asking for help. I've played around with the torres program, but I honestly don't know if I'm actually getting the info in there correctly, or if port etc would be right... so I'd greatly appreciate if one of you experienced guys can lend me a hand.

I have a WJ (03 Grand Cherokee) I want to build a box for (4) 12's, subs/port up in the cargo area behind rear seats. From what I've seen on the forums, typical "universal" port tune is 35hz? I listen to mostly hip-hop. I'm using Alpine Type R's that call for 1.7 cubes each in a ported enclosure, and I found a diagram of the rear measurements of my Jeep here... http://www.wjjeeps.com/interior/cargo_area_dimen.jpg

However, if possible I would like for the box to stay under approx 16" tall or so to keep it less in the window/view, and enough room to be able to get it in/out of the back should I need to remove it. I'm not at home right now to be able to get a measurement from seat to closed door to verify that, because I don't know if the measurement in the picture accounts for panel on cargo door or not, I don't know if the box would need to be that big, to need o worry too much about that measurement.. That's why I came to the professionals here for some help.

Any help/dimensions/sketch ups would be appreciated, and I'll try to keep an eye on here to be able to give some timely replies to any questions.

Thanks

I'd be happy to help you. I drive a WJ as well. I've got some business to attend to this afternoon but then I'll see if I can work you up a design. The question is if Joe X will beat me to it or not :-)

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'd be happy to help you. I drive a WJ as well. I've got some business to attend to this afternoon but then I'll see if I can work you up a design. The question is if Joe X will beat me to it or not :-)

Thanks, I look forward to the design :)

My 4 12box had to be 41w 24h 27d iirc

The picture shows wheel wells @ 40.5 wide, did you take out your carpet? Does your box go all the way back to the door from the seat?

What amp are you going to power these with? Are these the current model Type R's?

Just doing some quick calcs, to give those subs the space and port they need your box is going to have to be pretty much the same size as evermaxx's, ~24+" high.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

What amp are you going to power these with? Are these the current model Type R's?

Just doing some quick calcs, to give those subs the space and port they need your box is going to have to be pretty much the same size as evermaxx's, ~24+" high.

Older model Type R's. 1222D's.(For now)..... Currently the only amp I've got to throw to them is a Hifonics 1600 that I'll upgrade later also. Hmm I'll have to check the height to the windows tomorrow when I'm back home, Did not realize that it would be so high.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1222D.PDF

Pg. 4 for recommended enclosure specs.

Thanks for the post, I still haven't made it home to check the window height yet, but I'm sure I could make 20 work, that's more appealing than 24+ for sure. However, I am pretty sure that I would like a port up design though. I don't think with this large of a box that a rear port would have much room between box and cargo door to work and would end up being a rattle monster.

Here is a suggestion, it's setup for use on rated power and you could do 3K RMS with it, subsonic filter to 28Hz:

hg6v.jpg

4x12SUPB_zps24f95d8e.jpg

What program did you use to come up with those dimensions? I must be doing something wrong for sure, because when I put those into Torres, it shows ...

10.15 Gross

8.63 Net

35.89 Hz

Also, from what I seen on the recommendation for the enclosure on the Type R specs, it recommends 1.3 cubes net per, and your build you recommended shows 8 cubes net. I have really no idea what I'm doing here, so is there a specific reason for the bigger than recommended?

Ddm7W0s.png

Archived