Second Skin Audio

2 SWR-12D4 2010 Altima Box

John Fassetta

Hey yall, this is my first post but I've been lurking forever and used several forums in the past so I'll try not to be too newbish.

Basically what I'm trying to do and hoping yall could help me with is to build a GOOD (read: actually designed, not guesstimated) ported box for 2 SWR-12D4 type R's for my girlfriends 2010 Altima. They're running on a GLX1400.1 at 1ohm (underpowered by 300 watts a piece but still get kind stinky when you bump them). I'm sure she clips them a bit but I think its mainly the existing box that's too blame as I've heard other type R's get louder (the older generations on even like 500 watts). Would someone be willing to draw up a box for me to build? Something with more rumble than punch preferably. The usable space I believe I measured at like 20"x32"x32" so I don't imagine space will be an issue. Thanks in advance and let me know if there's any additional information I can provide.

I don't see how a glx1400 is all that different from a bre amp. They're made in the same house from very similar components from what I understand. Some stuff is nicer is the Elite amps, but according to the maxxsonics rep I talked to, the switch from Gladiator to Brutus was merely cosmetics and a name change, the guts are the same. Given that I run 2 of the 600rms type R's in on a glx2200 without problems in an atrend box I think those amps are alright.

I'll try to measure the dimensions of the current box as soon as I can, unfortunately our work and school schedules are pretty different for part of the week. I do appreciate the responses.

He didn't say the the Brutues Elite and GLX are the same, but he did say that the regular Brutus to GLX is just a case difference and name change. Your amp definitely is nicer, I just don't think (perhaps would rather not believe lol) that it could be so different that it's sending dirty power or something.

You need a tool to determine if you are clipping or not, also bear in mind that any amp may clip if your electrical can't keep up. If you have a multimeter, check the amp's input power terminals, if when running your amp at high output, car on, you get any lower than 13V at anytime you are not really doing ok.

Hey sorry it took me so long to get around to measuring the existing box. Work and school have been crazy. The existing box is a single chamber 24"x20"x10.5" with a vent that is 8.5" deep and then bends and goes another 16". The port runs lengthwise so it's 24" long by 1.75" wide. After reading around here a lot I'm wondering is the port way too long and too deep? I build it a couple years ago for another setup and knew nothing about how to build a box (just now starting to get the idea), I'd just tried to copy the inside of an Atrend box that I'd bought. Again, sorry it took me so long and thanks for the help guys!

Archived