Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Somebody please explain something to me!!! Im confused on why most 10'' subs have a cone area of 50-60 sq in but when I look at the specs of the 10'' fi Q and convert 310 cm^2 to Inches I get 122 in ^2.........Am I missing some math here? I know im stupid but am I even more stupid than I thought??? I know its something simple that Im missing here. Ive been building boxes for years but never a T line and I wanna build one bad! I never really had to pay attention to some of the specs until now. Someone please help, I understand everything else about the T line but not this. By the way This thread is awesome and has shit loads of info!

Somebody please explain something to me!!! Im confused on why most 10'' subs have a cone area of 50-60 sq in but when I look at the specs of the 10'' fi Q and convert 310 cm^2 to Inches I get 122 in ^2.........Am I missing some math here? I know im stupid but am I even more stupid than I thought??? I know its something simple that Im missing here. Ive been building boxes for years but never a T line and I wanna build one bad! I never really had to pay attention to some of the specs until now. Someone please help, I understand everything else about the T line but not this. By the way This thread is awesome and has shit loads of info!

I'm not sure how you worked it out but 310sq cm is 48.050sq inches so round that down 48sq inches and then that's where i get stuck.

sorry i couldn't be of more help.

I did, I'm always trying to find the best design for my car, I am trying to get the most length out of the box to tune it correctly, or as close to the Fs of the drivers as possible. I have accomplished this with the most recent one. I also modified the model you made for me to maximize the space behind the drivers.

DualT-LineEnclosure.jpg

why don't you just put both drivers in one line?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

All you are doing is dividing 310 by 2.54. That is the conversion factor for cm to inches but this is square cm to square inches. You need to divide your sqcm value by 2.54 squared (6.45 about). So whenever converting square cm to square inches divide your cm number by 6.45 and that will give you your value

Team NorthWestSPL

i got 48 for my fi too but its going to be tricky to get that magnet in a 48 sq inch port

Banner_468x60.jpg

REP

why don't you just put both drivers in one line?

@ 412 CVX

Well then the port would need to be somewhere around 66in2 so the port would be 11"H x 6"W. And it would have too be about 90" long, unless you know how to build a tapered T-line.

If you would like to try to design one that is similar in dimensions to my most recent one, that would be cool. Realize though, I am not asking you to, so therefore it'll have to be pro bono, although it would be interesting to see if it would work, and it would be a lot easier to build too.

@ mrd6... thanks, guess it wouldnt hurt to round that off to 50 then?

@ bdog...yeah I was gonna go with 60 sq in cause I was unsure. I had the front double baffle and will prolly have to tripple baffle now to bring the magnet out away from the first port wall now

@ 412 cvx.....Thats part off the reason I was so confused because 310 cm sq was the sd Fi gave. I dont understand why they do it like that, I noticed a few others do it like that to

^ in my t-line experience (somewhat limited, ive built 5) going a bit above in line area will be better than below and yeild more output with few if any drawbacks so yes rounding up to 50 is probably a good call

Team NorthWestSPL

Thanks again mrd6. I have one more question though. Im getting a friend to let me build one for a Fi SP4 18 and the Fs 24hz. Is that to low? He only listens to rap and r&B. I told him im guessing this will still do a high 140 but with awesome sound quality. Its going in a tahoe....what do you think?

Archived