Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Built my first T-line yesterday for a friend. Super bidget build. Spent 18$ for a woofer on parts express...like 15$ on some cheapy amp and a few bucks on 8gauge wiring. Like a said SUPER BUDGET lol. Put it in my truck to test it since I have a second rear battery and all RCA's run etc for my new build. I was definitely surprised...we had put it in a 1cube ported box tuned to 35...and this T-line destroys it. Sounds clean and musical and digs a little below 30..I will definitely be making more.

60sq inch area and 8.8ft in length for 32hz tuning. one 10" woofer from Parts express lol. It was my first attempt ever at a T-line and the layout and figuring out my cutlist took longer than the actual building. Only took about an hour from the first cut to demoing it. Thats my buddy in the pics.

IMG_20120910_160043.jpgIMG_20120910_160029.jpg

IMG_20120910_164639.jpg

IMG_20120910_164646.jpg

IMG_20120910_173220.jpg

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

The numbers on the sub is Sa-8. D4. Re=6.08 ohms. Fs=44.66hz. Qes=.594. Qms=6.337. Qts=.545. Qms=4.26. Le=4.26. Vas=4.44l.

The biggest number that matters is the cone area. Than you need to figure out a heighth and width for the "port"(idk another way to describe it) that matches or gets close to the surface area of the cone..or SD of the driver.

My box is almost those dimensions if you look above at my pics. Its 49x12.25x12 for a single low power 10. The problem you will run into with the sundown is getting the mounting depth and keeping it wide enough to mount the sub without making it bigger than the cone area of the driver.

I would suggest mounting it inverted to make it easier. Sundown doesnt list the SD so you should measure the actual cone. Do surface area by radius squared times pi. Your SD is probably close to 38sq inches but you should measure. They have a huge surround that cuts into the cone area a little more.

You could do a box that is 10.25 x 11.5 x48 and build it like mine pictured above to get tuning around 34hz..(doing math in my head) give me a sec and Ill see if I can work it out exactly.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Just wanted to see if could get help for calculating a tline box for a sundown 8" sub with a jl 1000/1 supplying the power its going behind the third row of my 08 yukon the max dimension s of the box is 48 long 10wide and 12 height. Any help would be appreciated.

Since your FS is higher on your sub your box will be alot shorter. Thats fs is really high idk if you will like it because it wont want to dig very low.

Can someone more experienced chime in is it bad to tune below the FS such as 34hz when its higher like 40+. The one I did above I did 33hz with a sub whose fs is higher..digs low still so I'm not sure if it will hurt anything except peak output.

If you want it tuned lower I figured out some dimensions for a box at 34hz for the SA8 but you mount it inverted.

Heres a cutlist for a box with 40"sq area and 7.85ft port length to put it at 34hz. I dont know what culd be the repercussions of using a box tuned lower than the FS...everyone has always said use the FS but I've never seen why or what could be bad about going lower. Mine is tuned below the FS and I havent had any problems yet.

Bottom - 48 x 10.25

Top - 48x10.25

Left - 9.5x10

Right - 8.75 x 10

Back - 48 x 10

Center section(divider) piece 1 - 4.75 x 10

Divider piece 2 - 37.75 x 10

Im not a pro box builder or anything...I'm still learning too...just noticed no one responded yet so though I would try and help out. If you have some graph paper draw the box out and visualize it so its easier to build.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

can some throw up the formula for the 1/4 wave tline please?

The Midget Looks Into Your Soul

2008 Dodge am 3500HD with the 6.7 Cummins

Race Me tuner, dpf deleted

kenwood double din

cheap walmart speakers for now(infinity reference comps comps coming soon)

2 kicker L5's in a ported box of unknown tuning lol(soon to be changed)

Power acoustic 1500.1 on the subs (for now)

Started a test box for a sub I had lying around in the basement.

The sub: Audiobahn AW1200Q, basic stats is FS 31.2hz, Qts 0.6, Qes 0.67, Qms 6.23, 700 Watts rms, gonna just wire it up to my amp just like my 2 Sundowns so it'll present roughly the same ohm load so I should be overpowering it a bit but meh, whatever, if it blows it blows.

The box design: YrGIMh.png

Started it yesterday, but thanks to not planning my cuts better I ran out of MDF before I could cut the last piece out so I gotta hit Lowes for another sheet of MDF, here's a progress pic:

CUc4y.jpg

Can't wait to hear it, all I need is the back plate, a hole for the sub, some caulking and the last corner piece. If it's louder than my 2 Sundowns in the too-small ported box I won't exactly be surprised.

Archived