Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

I built it. Got a few small air leaks currently. I'll let you know the results once I fix that.

Lets see pics!!

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

• 1 month later...

bbeljefe...few questions for you.

In several of your posts you say that you can reduce line area up to 40%......what kind of affect does this have on overall output and SQ? Will a stronger motor do better in a reduced line area application versus a weaker motor? In my head it seems it would but I truly do not know.

Also you posted that you usually tune to 30hz OR 10 hz above speakers fs using whichever figure is higher, is this a typo?? My sub has an fs of 20. Could I get away with tuning at say 25 or so? Is this going to drastically affect me?

IF I build this box it will be my second T line. I loved my first, just making a few changes. Thanks!

Honestly, I've never done a side by side comparison of a full sized line and a reduced one with the same subs in the same environment. But all of the reduced area lines I've built have sounded just as good as the full sized ones I've built, according to my ear.

And I think that, intuitively, one would assume stronger motored subs would like reduced lines better but these boxes seem to defy convention so I wouldn't say. Also, I don't build many for low end subs so I can't say from experience. I really do need to do some real world, side by side comparisons but I just haven't had the time.

And I said 30Hz or 10Hz BELOW Fs. Huge difference there. I've tuned at a >40 Fs and was sorely disappointed in low end response so that;s why I tend toward lower than Fs tuning for high Fs subs. Of course, that's no rule and if I have a sub with a <30 Fs, I'll tune to Fs, not 30.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Working with LMS Ultra. Already built a T line for it about a year ago. LOved it. Then added another one and another 2k to the mix. Had an aeroport box....I will call it frankenbox.....given my space constraint my ports would make you laugh....lokked very impressive from an engineering standpoint....but that's about it! It sounded fine but I learned something with that box as far as port clearance issues go.

Thought about 4th order wall. Then figured if I am doing a wall I could do a T line fake wall. About to build a standard low tuned ported box tonight and tomorrow. Really want to develop a t line for the pair though. That is why the reduced line area thing got my attention. Would save me ALOT of room.......

Since you already have the right subs you could build a couple of these for your car and be my personal hero: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/189784-gjallerhorn.html

There are pics is you scroll down a bit. I don't know what vehicle you have and if you would even be able to fit one let alone two, but those wring every last bit of performance out of that sub and you could brag that you have good output down to about 20 Hz, or less.

I can try to workup some T-line specs in Hornresp for you if you are interested too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

WOW. That is beautiful! Will not fit in my EXT CAB truck though!!

A reduced line area T line though...........

Lol, yeah, its hard to tell from the pics, but those horns are HUGE. 45" x 45" x 24"

Someday I'd love to see someone put a horn like that in their vehicle. I brought it up since the hard part right now is getting your hands on a LMS Ultra. That horn only works with that sub and a UXL-18, both of which are hard to come by.

I'll work up something for you in Hornresp, just to give you an idea. How much power are you running and are you looking for a box for one sub or two?

Also how much space do you have to work with? A T-Line for these things is going to be big.

Builds:

Archived