Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

9 hours ago, kmb504 said:

Is there any way you can post an example?

Sure, here is a T-line with the sub placed 1/3 of the way down the line, vs having the sub placed at the closed end:

xuFSgRD.png

The top box has the sub at 1/3 and the bottom box has it at the closed end. Both examples would require the sub to be mounted inverted. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

According to what I've read and think I understand about t-line 1/4 wave, the fs of my speaker is 42hz.  So my port length should be 6.7ft.  Roughly 82in. Or since I'm using 2 speakers do I double my fs? Which would make my port length about 30in.  My cone area is 6.5". (I'm using 8s), so my port area should be about 66sqin. I figured I'd dust make the port 8x8.  Can someone please make me a diagram on how the box should look with the subs at 1/3.  I'm doing 2 8s.  My max length is 43", width will obviously be 9.5" and height will be how ever tall it needs to be. 

5 hours ago, kmb504 said:

Oh ok.  The top picture, in the middle of the box, that also counts as port area?

Yes it does. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

3 hours ago, kmb504 said:

According to what I've read and think I understand about t-line 1/4 wave, the fs of my speaker is 42hz.  So my port length should be 6.7ft.  Roughly 82in. Or since I'm using 2 speakers do I double my fs? Which would make my port length about 30in.  My cone area is 6.5". (I'm using 8s), so my port area should be about 66sqin. I figured I'd dust make the port 8x8.  Can someone please make me a diagram on how the box should look with the subs at 1/3.  I'm doing 2 8s.  My max length is 43", width will obviously be 9.5" and height will be how ever tall it needs to be. 

Just like with a ported box, you don't HAVE to tune the line to the Fs of the subs.  You will be better served by tuning based on how low you want to be able to play.  If you tune it t 42 hz you aren't going to get much output below that.  

Tuning length doesn't change depending on how many subs you have, line area does.  

What subs are you using?  What amp?  What vehicle?  And why do you want to use a t-line in the first place?  

Builds:

On 5/11/2017 at 1:07 PM, fishchris1 said:

Thanks again Trit.

DLH, those look pretty nice too. Fat X max ! Interesting that the FS on those is only 33Hz, but your tuning it down to 26Hz ! Hmmm. No problem with that, huh ? Will consider these too though...  Thank you.

That Fs is while the suspension is still stiff. Talked to the owner of B2 and he said that the Fs drops 1-3Hz after the suspension loosens up a bit. 

American bass vfl 8s.  American bass ph-2500.1md. It's going in my jeep wrangler jku. I just wanted to try the box out.  I ride around mostly with my top off so I just wanted to try a different design. I plan on rebuilding a box, just don't know what I want to go with.

5 hours ago, kmb504 said:

American bass vfl 8s.  American bass ph-2500.1md. It's going in my jeep wrangler jku. I just wanted to try the box out.  I ride around mostly with my top off so I just wanted to try a different design. I plan on rebuilding a box, just don't know what I want to go with.

Wanting to try something different is a completely legitimate reason for building a t-line :-)

ill crunch some numbers later tonight and then I can give you a recommendation for box specs. 

Builds:

3 hours ago, kmb504 said:

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

So in your situation, I think a good starting point would be a line with 45 sq in of area, about 93" long, which should tune it to about 34 hz.  

Here is an example of how that could be laid out:

HfAqx5G.png

h7d8FMA.png

All panels except the front and back are 8" wide. I forgot to label it on the pictures but the line is 5 5/8" wide (x 8" deep = 45 sq in).

I would strongly suggest mounting the subs inverted so their motors aren't obstructing the line.  Cone excursion goes up FAST below tuning, so a properly set subsonic filter will be required.  I would set it no lower than 30 hz.  

If you get too much output around tuning (peaky response) you can add some polyfil to the portion of the line before the subs. 

Builds:

Archived