Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

basically, yeah, thats how I do it. Ive seen some people measure the outer most line, counting the 45s as well. But I like just measureing the longest point, ignoring the 45s

I do standard slot ports the same way, ignore the 45, and just measure the main lengths

it actually comes out VERY DAMN CLOSE

I love your avatar, I gotta go see that movie

:-[

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

basically, yeah, thats how I do it. Ive seen some people measure the outer most line, counting the 45s as well. But I like just measureing the longest point, ignoring the 45s

I do standard slot ports the same way, ignore the 45, and just measure the main lengths

it actually comes out VERY DAMN CLOSE

I love your avatar, I gotta go see that movie

:-[

thanks for the reply, and thanks for the avatar compliment. Go see the movie, that guy is funny as shit. :D

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

hmm im wondering what would happen to a sub in a t-line that has more power? i was looking at the btl earlier and happened to have the site still up... the stats on the 12 match that you said for a t-line... but would i only be able to give this woofer small amounts of power? or could it handle 2k?

Qms: 4.91 | 5.03

Qes: .22 | .21

Qts: .21 | .20

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Those specs are perfect, but I cant find any specs on BTLs anywhere. I bet they would knock heads off . Iam sure 2kw is fine, cuz those subs are really meant to take a beating. But I garuntee that box will have to be atleast double layerd with mdf. Transmission lines are very free flowing, air comes in to them, and out of them easily, but the air that vibrates in the middle of the line really gets the boxes rattling, more so than ported- from my experience

But if that is the specs of them BTLs, hook it up, id love to hear the results on that. Ive ran a few Memphis Mojos, Koves, SS SPLX subs in Tlines, and they all knock extremly hard in them. But just a heads up on the wiring, start the subs wired up in series- to see a higher ohm load, then work to the lowest ohm load. I Have never ran a sub in a tline in parrallel, because they never needed the extra power to get busy- Think of it this way, ROE, when they run the subs in a video free air, and and they are OVER-excursing, then that leads to smoking, then domes popping off, that is what happens to a speaker in a tline, when you give them to much power- Yeah any speaker will fry with to much power, and abuse, but its easier to get the speaker to do this in a tline, because the speaker ISSSSS Free air, its just that rear wave of the speaker is guided in a VERY Constructive way, and CAN be destructive if abused......

Does that help????

:^

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

those specs were on the btl... ill add the ones of a fully loaded btl too

hmm actual box constuction will be pretty solid and if i get to that point i will be sure to make the box rock solid. well im concerned thou check out this thread i started in the fi forum.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=8183

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

ofcourse most people assume a spl sub is for spl only, but a LOW Qts SPL, CAN be used for a SQL daily driver, Meade obviously knows this, he runs his system for SQL-Ive personally heard his system sounds awesome- And The MTs are hardcore SPL subs, The BTLs are hardcore SPL subs.  I personally know you can run a hardcore SPL woofer in a tline, how do I know? I used to build subwoofers for a living. I Have ran every kind of sub I have thrown at a tline, 1,2,3- 4spiders, low xmax, high xmax, huge speakers with huge BL numbers, and other speakers with low BL numbers, Ive mixed matched just about everything, over 4 years- What I have learned, is SPL subs actually sound pretty damn good in a Tline. They definitly are not flat, sounding, but that is a good thing for the street beater, who wants that extra punch, and power handling. But if you want that great SQ sound, a simple subwoofer will work best

sundown.jpg

right... anyway on that forum he said that a proper tl needs to be 12ft long... i dont think i have that kind of space in my car trunk

I didnt read where it said it needs to be 12ft long, but umm.. no Ive done Tlines as short as 4ft... And you CAN go short on a tline, and stuff it with poly fill, or line the walls with 1" or 2" poly fill, and you can similate a line about 50% longer. BUT, useing polyfill, or anything to line the box, you will lose SPL, but you can gain SQ, it will take the peakiness down, and flatten down the roll off- Basically get some gain beyond the tunning point to similate that lower tunning. And you can use a tline for hard core spl, Ive done a 70hz tline, with a 6.5" subwoofer, and gave it 250watts, and it was slammin as hard as my Kove Z15 in a sealed box, getting 500 watts- I compared side to side. No, I didnt meter, I couldnt, and they did sound different, but the thing is, I drove around with that as a subwoofer for about a week before I finally killed that 6.5"... Basically, that 70hz line was only 4ft long.

Techno sounded great tho, and rock, but it was Rap that killed it...  lol

sundown.jpg

ya well he barely posted it up this morning at like 8 am so i think it was way after you visited the thread.... anyway if i were to do said short t-line would my woofer last? im not sure if i want to venture into something that has the potential to destroy the woofer easily

btw i was told i have about 7cubes total in my trunk from an outside source, ive yet to measure

Archived