robby512 Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 Hi there I'm aiming to design a box for a friend for 4 sa12's in a 1998 dodge Durango. It will be powered off a hifonics 2000 amp running at 1 ohm. daul 2 ohm subs. I'm hoping someone can help me here. Can I just double this box design http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161985-sundown-sa-12-ported-box/?hl=ported+box#entry2341925 to make it for four 12's. Or should I see if someone can design me a different one. I am waiting to contact sundown audio to see what there recs on box size port area are but if someone here knows can help that be great! If so max dimensions are outer dimensions 30 length 43 width and 18 height. Any advice is appreciated Well looking at that other box the size dimensions won't work but fi find one with the correct dimensions will doubeling it work.
Joe X Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 Ok here's a 4 subs up / port back version, needs 4" clearance to the rear gate, if you do this don't miss the port brace and the top to bottom brace (dowel rod 1 1/4") shown:
robby512 Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 thank you!! I forgot to say that I was aiming for sub up port up would it make any difference? one being better than the other or as long as I have enough air flow and keep at least 4 inches after the port ended
Joe X Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 I would recommend subs up / port back on your type of vehicle, many people that have tried subs / port up have disliked the results, and yes you need about 4 inches between the the rear face of the box and the rear gate so that the port doesn't become choked.
robby512 Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 ok got it sub up port backwards thanks for the help!
robby512 Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 Actually one last question what is the length of the brace for the port is it the full port length so 19 5/8 or less?
Joe X Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 It's made shorter for aesthetics so an exact figure is not necessary, say take away 4-5 inches.
robby512 Posted February 19, 2014 Author Report Posted February 19, 2014 I drew it up in google sketch up so I can make sure I get this box right and came up with a few more questions which I think I know the answers but just so I get the box right. is that double 3/4 mdf on the bottom or is that just one sheet of mdf? (I think its just one) drawing the whole thing up I come up with a distance of 4 7/8 from the end of the port to the back wall is that correct? I think that's it for now thanks
Joe X Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 Yes to both, you need to have at least 4" of free airspace in front of both ends, as you can see the inner end is taken care of, you just need to make sure the external end has that about 4" clearance, and yes, it's single layer in the bottom, base your drawing on the cutsheet.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.