Need some help with the HDD

So I have a desktop i haven't used in a long time. Last I was using it, I had installed Backtrack 5 which is a linux modded os. Was getting to learn the then stopped and haven't used it since. I turn it on last night, to have the fairly new from it's last use, the HDD showing a yellow exclamation point. Can't figure out what's wrong with it, chkdsk like crazy, different programs. Nothing was working. So I said fuck it, oh well, just junk it. Turn off the computer, disconnect the HDD, turn it back on. Loads up to Ubuntu's grub rescue> command line. I searched like crazy online, and within a little bit I already understood the commands and how to load ubuntu. But for some reason, every time I try to search any partition on the drive, always says it's a unkown filesystem. So I can't figure out how to load up my system anymore. Can't get passed this. And it's retarded, plug the failed HDD back in, it works. Doesn't make sense.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Ok, after fucking with ubuntu with the faulty drive in here is what's happening. When I boot up without the 2nd HDD this is what comes up.

error: no such device: ce482388-bcdf-477f-acbb-5d2f03af5cf8.
grub rescue>

Well after plugging the 2nd HDD in, and going into GRUB command line. I did searches on the partitions of the 2nd HDD, which is crazy, theres 5. And one of them is, ce482388-bcdf-477f-acbb-5d2f03af5cf8. So now my objective is, how do I make it so my PC can load to windows 7 on the main HDD. When the computer boots, it goes to a loader, where I choose what to load up from. So I want to eliminate that, and load the main os on the main HDD

Edit: Here's some more info I would like some help on. This second HDD is a 750GB HDD. I do not remember creating 5 partitions on this thing, stupid. Well this is what I am trying to do. I used to have a lot of info on it. I am in disk managment and looking at the HDD. Sure enough it is 750, but only thing that will allow me to mess with it is the partition called local pimp. Has 2 hidden folders, one that goes to recyble bin which is empty. And another that is System Volume Information, which gives me access denied when I try to open. I cannot open or do anything with the other partitions other than delete them, which I do not know if anything is on them or not, so I don't want to do that. I want to find my stuff I thought I had on this HDD, but I can't figure out how to veiw these other partitions.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

By default Linux makes a few partitions, one of them is a swap partition.

If you loaded the main part of the OS on the 2nd drive, it has to write the loader to the MBR of the first drive, Windows does the same thing. Its probably formatted ext2 (I havent used linux in a while and that might be wrong) but either way you're going to have to format it to get it to work.

If you want to view all the partitions, use diskmgmt.msc in windows (type it in RUN) it might just not be assigning them a drive letter. If that doesnt work, load up a command prompt as admin and type DISKPART. All of the commands in there are well documented by typing HELP.

Archived