Triticum Agricolam Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 You dont think that him being tuned to 30,(ill bet he shot for the 31, and is more like 29) with the port per is why he may struggle playing in the 40's? A serious question.... In the 40-50 Hz range there is only going to be a couple dbs difference between a 30 hz and a 35 hz tune. Its unlikely you could ever notice a difference on the ear-o-meter. However I think lot of folks are tuned lower than they intend to be and the farther below 30 Hz he actually is the more difference it would make . "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
bkolfo4 Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 Upper range is not limited by port tuning.You are right, maybe I should have expanded on why I said he will be 10 db down at 60 Hz. The OP's box size and tuning is going to give him a peak in output in the mid 30 Hz. Cabin gain is going to make this peak significantly larger. This is one possible reason why it seems to struggle with the higher notes compared to the lower ones. This is correct - the issue is not a roll off in the upper frequencies, but a box alignment that is making a large peak around tuning, along with cabin gain. But to be clear - tuning lower does not cause the subwoofers output to roll off at a lower frequency in a standard ported box. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
Mike R Posted March 5, 2014 Author Report Posted March 5, 2014 Thanks for all of the feedback! I love the amount of knowledge and discussion shared on this site. I had to make some changes to my box from the plan, because while it would fit in the trunk, I couldn't get it into the trunk. As built specs plugged into Torres suggest I am tuned at 30.8 hz with 68 sq inches of port. This is in an 01 Impala, sub and port forward. Once I get the proper amp in I will try to seal off the box from the trunk as best as I can. I am glad I didn't screw up on the box build (at least that is my understanding after reading the above). I didn't really expect much output with the weak amp- I guess I was just surprised at how hard it hit down low on that little power. I am fairly new at this and didn't really know what to expect. Next step is big 3 and running my 1/0 Sky High back to the trunk. It is certainly addictive!
FocusOn20s Posted March 5, 2014 Report Posted March 5, 2014 or it could be that you're not used to the sound of the ZV4 lol The Z v.4 series is really a different kind of woofer due to it's incredibly linear suspension. They are designed for the LOWEST level of bass extension possible -- they are not what I would consider SPL drivers; but they will get extremely loud and clean. If you are after the lowest possible extension with higher power handling than the X series the Z v.4 series is the driver for you. Due to the extremely low level of suspension induced distortion the typical "punchy" upper-bass peak in the 40s-60s Hz range that occurs with traditional woofers when pushed to high excursion does not occur. This "punch" is caused by a tightening of the suspension over stroke leading to increased FS and Qts figures -- in other words it is distortion that some consider to be pleasing; but distortion none-the-less.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.