Mike R Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 Finally got my box built for my Zv4 15". I still have to run it through Torres in the as built form but it should be 4ish cubes net at 31 hz. Right now I have it wired at 4 ohms on a tiny 350 watt amp. Will be installing an SQ2200 and supporting electrical in next 2 weeks or so. Right now it is pretty violent on decaf or other low music, but it seems to struggle with higher notes. I know it will get louder with proper power, but is what is the realistic upper range as far as a box tuned that low? Any concerns for the well being of the woofer? I think I have 70ish inches of port area.
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 It depends on what kind of vehicle you have it in. But with estimated cabin gain you are going to be 10 db down at 60 Hz from your peak at tuning. That number is just an estimate. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
bkolfo4 Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 Upper range is not limited by port tuning. Current system: 1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s Previous systems: 2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz. 1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.
OrionStang Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 It depends on what kind of vehicle you have it in. But with estimated cabin gain you are going to be 10 db down at 60 Hz from your peak at tuning. That number is just an estimate. Where the fuck did you pull that number from? Way off. My subs barely play 60hz. Box volume, port area, port tuning, vehicle, plus any and all combinations of these things will have an effect. Plus more shit I am probably missing. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Kyblack76 Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 I dont even run a cut off..... none. My box limits me around 48... ish... SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 Where the fuck did you pull that number from? Way off. My subs barely play 60hz. Box volume, port area, port tuning, vehicle, plus any and all combinations of these things will have an effect. Plus more shit I am probably missing What subs, box size, & tuning are you using? What vehicle is it? Unless all your stuff is the same as the OP then the number I listed isn't going to apply to you. Besides the number I gave was an estimate, which I clearly said. There is no way for anyone to know for sure with out building the box, putting it in vehicle and testing it. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 Upper range is not limited by port tuning. You are right, maybe I should have expanded on why I said he will be 10 db down at 60 Hz. The OP's box size and tuning is going to give him a peak in output in the mid 30 Hz. Cabin gain is going to make this peak significantly larger. This is one possible reason why it seems to struggle with the higher notes compared to the lower ones. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Kyblack76 Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 Upper range is not limited by port tuning. You are right, maybe I should have expanded on why I said he will be 10 db down at 60 Hz. The OP's box size and tuning is going to give him a peak in output in the mid 30 Hz. Cabin gain is going to make this peak significantly larger. This is one possible reason why it seems to struggle with the higher notes compared to the lower ones. You dont think that him being tuned to 30,(ill bet he shot for the 31, and is more like 29) with the port per is why he may struggle playing in the 40's? A serious question.... SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
OrionStang Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 I just want to know where this "down 10db at 60hz based on a 30hz tuning" came from. You can't give a finite answer like this, with so many variables unknown. SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
Triticum Agricolam Posted March 4, 2014 Report Posted March 4, 2014 I just want to know where this "down 10db at 60hz based on a 30hz tuning" came from. You can't give a finite answer like this, with so many variables unknown. I modeled the box specs he gave in WinISD and then added in simulated cabin gain. That's where I came up with the number. I totally agree with you, there are a lot of variable and cabin gain is impossible to model perfectly. Like I said in my original reply, the number was an estimate, he could be 6 db down or 18 db down, no way to know. The point being the combination of how his enclosure works and cabin gain there should be a lot less output at 60 Hz than 30 Hz. I should have explained that better earlier. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.