DD1 tuning question

I used the DD1 to find the distortion level out of the Kenwood DNN990 HU with 5volt preouts, that level was 34 out of 35 using track 2 @1khz, (no distortion at the 40hz using track 1 at max HU volume). Since I use the remote I set the HU gains down to -2 and there was no distortion at track 2 @1khz. I did this so I would not be able to pass up the max distortion free level on the HU when using the remote as I am typically sitting in the back of the trk when using the remote thus I would not be able to see the actual volume setting.

Next I set the amp gains with the HU at 35 (remember this is a distortion free level from the HU) and the gain setting ended up just barley off of the 6volt setting, about 5 I assume.

My setup:

DNN990HD HU

4x composite Polk Audio db5251 5.25 100RMS @4ohm door speakers.

1x POLK Audio PA4000.1 4 channel mid amp used for mids and tweets

1x Sound Ordinace 8" powered sub woofer (cheapy but has plenty of bas for me, not looking for ground shaking)

2 gauge power and ground utilizing a distribution block

I haven't measured the voltage at max to determine theoretical watts but will tonight and I'm guessing its probably around 60 for each door but I could be completely off and its actually higher.

The issue is it is not as loud as I would expect or hoped but it is distortion free according to the DD1 and my ears.

Questions:

* I know its hard to know from a post but would I have been better off NOT setting the HU gains to -2 and just note that the max HU vol setting was 34 and then I would have been able to add more gain in at the amp? Would that have mattered?

*These door speakers have an Efficiency rating at 92db, would I get more SPL from a lower efficiency rated speaker, I assume not but would like to know the real world experience answer.
May be I just need more speakers but dont have a place for more since I am using a full under seat DU-HA storage container :(
Steve M., could I ask you to chime in on those 2 questions if you have time?
Thanks..Richard

First off setting the amps to a lower volume on the headunit wont hurt because you will just compensate that by a higher amplifier gain setting on the amp due to the less preout voltage on the headunit.

Ideally you will want to tune the headunit at the lowest undistorted volume level which appears to be volume 34 (I believe it says to average the two numbers together in the manual, but Id make 34 the max since there is no 34.5).
When checking the headunits max volume only use track 1 for the subwoofer preouts and track 2 for the front/rear preouts. The other tracks on the disc do not matter what so ever for finding the max unclipped volume of the radio. Tracks 3-7 are for tuning the amplifier portions.

Now if your mids/highs amp was tuned for volume 35 it is possible the headunit clipped the preouts early since you previously found volume 35 was distortion when you tested the preouts. Does it mean you will get more gain out of your amp its hard to say, but if you make 1 thing have distortion in your setup, everything from the point of distortion will cause everything after it to distort.

Im not sure if you used track 4 or 6 to tune that amplifier that powers your mids/highs, but if you used track 4, than go ahead and retune it with track 6 and try using volume 34 on the headunit instead of 35.

The higher the efficiency rating normally means the louder the speakers will be with less power, but sometimes the manufactures ratings are not spot on or far from close.

If the speakers are still not loud enough after retuning, id look into your amp, its quality and or if it is actually doing the power that it claims to, and possibly go amp shopping.

^^Kenwood head units have a "volume offset" function. Basically offsets the volume by X number of clicks. He turned down the offset, reducing the volume of his head unit and making it so he can go to 35/35 without clipping, then set his gains with that.

Also: What source do you play your music through, and what source did you use for the dd-1 tracks?

First off setting the amps to a lower volume on the headunit wont hurt because you will just compensate that by a higher amplifier gain setting on the amp due to the less preout voltage on the headunit.

Ideally you will want to tune the headunit at the lowest undistorted volume level which appears to be volume 34 (I believe it says to average the two numbers together in the manual, but Id make 34 the max since there is no 34.5).

When checking the headunits max volume only use track 1 for the subwoofer preouts and track 2 for the front/rear preouts. The other tracks on the disc do not matter what so ever for finding the max unclipped volume of the radio. Tracks 3-7 are for tuning the amplifier portions.

Now if your mids/highs amp was tuned for volume 35 it is possible the headunit clipped the preouts early since you previously found volume 35 was distortion when you tested the preouts. Does it mean you will get more gain out of your amp its hard to say, but if you make 1 thing have distortion in your setup, everything from the point of distortion will cause everything after it to distort.

Im not sure if you used track 4 or 6 to tune that amplifier that powers your mids/highs, but if you used track 4, than go ahead and retune it with track 6 and try using volume 34 on the headunit instead of 35.

The higher the efficiency rating normally means the louder the speakers will be with less power, but sometimes the manufactures ratings are not spot on or far from close.

If the speakers are still not loud enough after retuning, id look into your amp, its quality and or if it is actually doing the power that it claims to, and possibly go amp shopping.

hmm, now I am thinking I had a brain fart, I dont recall using track 4 or 6 at all when setting the amp gains. Dangit, so I need to go back and reset everything I guess. I also need to get the updated manual I guess because after setting this last night I noticed that there is an update to it and I dont know what changed. Bought my DD1 early last year or earlier I think.

So this is what I am understanding, set the HU to 34 (distortion free at track 2). Now use track 6 to set the amp gain with the HU at setting 34 and that s going to be the best it gets.

Lastly, what amp brand would you recommend if I toss the multichannel amp? I dont do this for a living so I dont have the field experience you do and I dont mind tossing it if needed but want the next 1 to be a very good amp :)

^^Kenwood head units have a "volume offset" function. Basically offsets the volume by X number of clicks. He turned down the offset, reducing the volume of his head unit and making it so he can go to 35/35 without clipping, then set his gains with that.

Also: What source do you play your music through, and what source did you use for the dd-1 tracks?

Correct on the vol offset mention.

As far as source of music, I use the Ford sync USB and the FM as well as online stations like IHeart via wifi.

I used the CD that came with the DD1, is that what you are asking?

Edited by Richard75013

yeah that volume offset was designed so that when you switch sources (fm to ipod or whatever), the volume difference wont be crazy.

keep volume offset on 0.