Second Skin Audio

Zcon 15 2 Ohm Box Tuning

Area for box max is like 27x25x21 middle might get 26 but already should be plenty big assume little under will work, will use 4 or 5 4" ports guess depends on effects of more port area on sub from what I estimated if right somewhere between 50-62 for port area, tuning preferred for all around sound and output. Not sure how the speaker will react with a little more box assume it should be ok and went with Zcon just because power is little over Xcons RMS and box from site little bigger. Hoping it helps low end, but any suggestions not sure if the Torres Tuning Calculator is correct and unlike when I lived in N California, there not real shops unless I drive 2 hours round trip then again, I do not know there work. A friend said tuning it in area of 31-33 Hz claimed out put might go down with little gain in lower end. I decided to ask before I build the new box and any suggestions would be appreciated. I have not gotten the sub yet and guess little nervous first time I bought a sub based off specs and reviews since no shops in area, so if you have any suggestions please other than my writing is not the best. Sub and it performance is my only goal.

D2/D1 Zcon 15

34.1 / 33.6 Fs

6.65 / 6.74 QMS

0.27 / 0.27 Qes

0.29 / 0.29 Qts

266 / 274 Mms

810 / 810 Sd

67 / 67 Vas

93.2 / 93 Spl

17.74 / 25.2 Bl

29 / 29 mm Xmax

2250w RMS

0.22cuft Displacement

I could of done a Xcon vs Zcon, but thought with larger rated enclosure then they suggested over 5 cu ft., and 2400 watts the zcon be a better choice.

I have a 6" port but would have smaller port area, 28

4-5 4" would have more like 50-62? 3 - 4" 37.86 estimated

For the Zcon, 15-16 square inches of port per cube of internal air volume is good.?? I was told even with the extra ports I am under what is needed, bummer. I get just over 12 be hell of ports to get 16.

Would a 12 sq port area per foot be enough port area? Or I could get more like 62.80 port area with a 14.31sq port area per foot?

Would it hurt output and performance with lower port area? yes one Zcon, replacing RE SXX 15 I sold and box, so redoing that and just hoping to do better box I had more closer to a 3.79 with 6" port seems a little small for subs if I go SSA based on what they had for suggested box and optima boxes off their site. Those all had over a 45-67 port area. Looking more of a gross box 5.5-6.5. Believe Zcon would a better fit with amp rated over specs and larger box which I thought creates more risk if these are over the speaker's ratings by maker.

Anyone have another contact number tried calling to confirm change to my sub due to larger box and Zcon rated closer to box size then Xcon power using and larger box just felt be safer with Zcon 15 2 ohm but cannot reach anyone by phone. Because of rush and not so good at this please note:

OK - only left specs and responses to questions or thought I did. I guess I should be more careful, but rushed this morning and since disability in 2002 it is harder for me to concentrate and write. I was going to change from an Xcon to Zcon to gain little more power handling, and output. Boxes I tried using Torres put box size more than the recommendation for that Xcon listed, plus since rating at 1 ohm on amp is over the rating of Xcon specs and need for larger box thought the Zcon would be a better fit. I was told that the 15 Zcon needed, “15-16 square inches of port per cube of internal air volume is good.” Now it seems boxes with 4” ports would be short of that.

One person said one 6" aero port which is very low on port area, thought maybe 4 or 5 in a gr size box around 5.42 to 6.36 would work but more closer to 12 then the 16 needed as noted above. I guess I was a little frustrated because they said to call and change order tried many many times but I could not reach anyone because no one was in the office or the number they said to call today has been busy. Sorry, work, trying to get son going and etc. plus feeling a little frustrated over this I guess I screwed up. I usually call the company and talk to their techs a least before now. I also on here and SMD and sorry if I confused you guess trying to rush I did not realize it. Punctuation was in my mind but not on here and since accident this happens more than not. I had only built aero or sealed port boxes before, but 2 x 6" ports would be tough to fit and a pain, option on boxes would be over 5.21 net. The specs listed were what I got from SSA sight. Again, I apologize and guess like Ozzy over the years my writing is as bad as his speech at times again very sorry. Little nervous since already gave them a hunk of cash just under $400 and wanted to do this right the first time. I also thought the Zcon would be closer even though one then the lower in 2 15s I had then Xcon and most say the Zcon do well or their gods J Sorry and did not mean to confuse or upset anyone guess grandpa screwed up again.

$69 difference from one sub to the other, but thought Zcon would hit better and still have a descent sound. I use to use sealed boxes, but after using home subs and almost all my speakers are ported one way or the other especially subs. I have learn to appreciate a well-tuned box and extra output over sealed box, guess I feel in the right ported box sq. and SPL can live together. SOME ONE try to tell me SSA was Fi, maybe a OEM, but FI response is as follows, "Sorry, but we are not affiliated companies. We own Fi and Ascendant Audio."

Anyone know if this is their address at SSA tried to call but busy all day:

PO BOX 3627
GLYNDON, MD 21071-3627

Why use so many 4" ports when a single 6" will work?

Single 6" told was too small, not enough room for 2 and would take 5 4" as 2 4" flow less then one 6. Sorry new did not know how to post to response vs. adding to the topic, new to this. Told I do not want believe they called it compression on sub.

Archived