Sonic Electronix

advice for car audio noobie

Cancel the order. It's crap.

Unless you want to spend ~$100-150 on a somewhat decent hydraulic crimper and the associated lugs, you would be better off investing in a torch, some solder, and time to learn. It's not hard, really :)

Because mashing a terminal until it stays on doesn't constitute a good connection. If you really want to know why I'll explain. Just not while I'm on mobile ;)

The idea, or goal behind crimping is to achieve a cold weld where all of the metal becomes one piece. It will never come loose and provides great connectivity. For 60 - 80 bucks you can get your own crimper. Check out this thread and you will see the example of a proper crimp.

If what you bought requires you to smash it with a hammer, it will be better at damaging the terminal than making a good connection.

The idea, or goal behind crimping is to achieve a cold weld where all of the metal becomes one piece. It will never come loose and provides great connectivity. For 60 - 80 bucks you can get your own crimper. Check out this thread and you will see the example of a proper crimp.

If what you bought requires you to smash it with a hammer, it will be better at damaging the terminal than making a good connection.

That is insane. That crimper works very well. I just cant justify spending that much money on a tool i wont use nearly often enough. What are my options here?

That is insane. That crimper works very well. I just cant justify spending that much money on a tool i wont use nearly often enough. What are my options here?

Don't crimp. Solder.

What if i first use that tool than solder the connection. The terminals that came with the amp kit are open on both sides so soldering them without first crimping would be impossible

Don't solder and crimp. Crimping... Or should I say smashing it first inhibits the solder's ability to wick into the wire. Smashing it after soldering will crack and distort the solder and kill your connection.

Post pics of said terminals

Don't crimp. Solder.

Hey Snow, just curious. Why do you tell him to solder and not crimp? Are we talking about smaller size wire here?

Personally, I start crimping at 1/0 and up. 4ga and below I solder.

Because this is what he purchased and doesn't want to spend the money on a proper crimper. Soldering is cheap. Just need to practice with it a bit

725636414921lg.jpg

Archived