Sonic Electronix

advice for car audio noobie

Because this is what he purchased and doesn't want to spend the money on a proper crimper. Soldering is cheap. Just need to practice with it a bit

725636414921lg.jpg

Ah, so you're not necessarily advising against crimping, you are against crimping the way he was/is going to do it. Gotcha. For a one time job soldering is cheaper for sure. My crimper will pay for it's self though.

Ghetto crimp police in full force!

See if you can sell it on craigslist or ebay. Or return it

Here's a nice tutorial on soldering. You can cut yourself a chunk of wire to practice with. When you are done, heat up the terminal and pull it off with a pair of pliers, cut the wire back, and re-solder until you are comfortable :)

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/6399-how-to-solder-large-gauge-wire/

Biggest noob mistake I see with soldering is trying too hard to get a nice pretty pool of solder on top. I mean.... You could shoot for that if you want, but it doesn't really help anything. What you really want is penetration - you want the solder to wick into the strands. Note that I say into the strands, not into the wire. You just want it to wick into the part that's inside the terminal, not 3-4" past. Best way I've found is to use more heat. Heat up the lug, solder as fast as you can, then remove the heat. Idea is that you finish before the heat travels down the rest of the wire, carrying the solder with it :)

Archived