HO Alternator rebuild kits

Haha

Evermaxx, I plan to do just that. I didn't really know at first who to contact about getting a kit though. I do now. Sounds like I will be putting in some Q&A until I find the best solution.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

I guess my first order of business, is get this shit installed and see how bad my voltage really is while I wait for a quote from mechman, answers to questions from aspwholesale and an answer from singer.

I'm weighing my options Kranny.

take note that some aftermarket high output alts have modified cases that are much more efficient at extracting the heat that the bigger alt internals produce.

i think if he want to try it just let him.. it might work or it might not. he will be the one who will say if it was worth saving $140 shitty alt or should have gone to someone

Miguels...It's not really a question of if I'm capable or not. It all comes down to weighing the options of price vs results. I'm not 100% sold on the kit, nor a full on alternator. I was only inquiring to see what to do. I figure most people would simply dole out the bigger money for lack of confidence to build their own. I don't lack that confidence, so it comes down to IF I could find a supplier that can meet my own needs. I'm not shy to spend big for quality but I have to factor my other hobby expenses in too. If it makes sense to go with big money, I can budget that in. If it makes sense to save money and still get results...I'm not afraid of a little elbow grease either.

I just wanted real world answers, not just what everyone else is doing because it's easier. Granted, the responses from several of you now have put a tangible reasoning behind buying an entire alternator. Which is what I wanted and I'm factoring every response into my selection. So I'm leaning that way a bit more now (a whole alternator) based on these responses I'm getting. It doesn't make a person stupid for being willing to try something others won't. I just don't make impulse decisions. I consider all my options before committing to anything. I hope that makes sense to you. I hope you don't think I'm being an idiot here.

Besides Miguels...if $140 is all I would save, then it probably wouldn't even be a question if I'd buy a whole alternator. I'm thinking if a good kit can be had for a bit over 100 bucks. I see whole alternators that run like 400-500 all the time. I don't feel the urge to drop that on an alternator just yet when I have less in my amp alone, or less in my sub/enclosure alone.

if you think you can do it then go for it.. just do lots of research on brands before you buy them.. there is nothing wrong with wanting to build your own and I dont see anyone busting Alan's ass for building his own sub either so whats the difference here? if you build it please post pictures

Archived