I've been reading in forums that the sound of a Ford flathead comes from wear the 2 middle exhaust pipes are connected into 1 and was wondering if it'd be possible to do this with a normal v8(forgive me if this is a stupid question, im tirred as fuck right now).

Anybody? was thinking of making some headers with the middle exhaust ports connected by a Y pipe.

A flat head sounds the way it does because it's a flat head. ..... You will not be able to get that sound out of another engine

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

Correct ... It's not going to happen. My Flathead Ford (Flat 6) has a distinct sound.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Well damn, eh fuck it we got a couple 283's laying around and alot spare pipes, I'll try it out to see if it works and if so cool I just discovered something, if not no harm done.

Edit. Also heard its the firing order and that they have kits to change em to the order they use.

Well damn, eh fuck it we got a couple 283's laying around and alot spare pipes, I'll try it out to see if it works and if so cool I just discovered something, if not no harm done.

I do not understand what you are to do ... Most vehicles (unless they have been dualed out) already have crossover pipes.

Flatheads sound come from the way the motors are built, not how their exhaust are set up ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

That just what I've read on these ford forums I've found is it's the way their built when it comes to the 2 inner exhaust, how on the inside of the Ford motors the middle pistons exhaust are connected, I just figured the it would be basically the same thing, just externally. Like I said it might work might not, never heard of anybody trying it.

My dad has a Ford Flathead V8 in his car and I have a Ford Flathead 6 in mine. They have very similar exhaust ...

They sound just about the same.

How is that the case when his is a v8 and mine is an inline 6 ??

You could try something like that ... But change the compression ratio completely. Not sure if I would want to try that with a Chevy 283 small block with very thin walls as it is.

Good luck

Here's on place I got my info from. 1 guy(I think Kahuna) said he installed Exhaust port dividers and the sound went away, so thats were I figure if separated that sound goes away, Interconnected would bring about that sound.

First off you will have to make those headers. ..... and since you're heads are not built like that you will do more harm than good. .. secondly because you have conventional heads it still won't sound that way. .... flat heads have different heads... different combustion chambers. ...different ignition. ...different compression

2012 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition-Singer 240A Alt, Odyssey Battery,Pioneer AVH-2550NEX head-unit, Pioneer GM-DX874 powering Kicker CSS67 front-CSC5 rear, and Memphis PR 1.1000 powering 12in SSA ICON in G.P. ported box.

2003 Tahoe-320A Alt, Odyssey Batt,2 Resilient Sounds Gold 15's sealed powered by Crescendo BC2000D, Turbulent Designs Ported box AVH601EX head unit and Pioneer 3ways in all doors.

Archived