Cj Kumz Posted April 10, 2014 Report Posted April 10, 2014 Hey people got a question. Ok on average most people advice having the port diameter as your minimum clearance distance both in the box and outside. I hope I'm on the right track lol.. So question is when you flare the port ends, does the clearance reduce or increase?? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
alaskanzx5 Posted April 10, 2014 Report Posted April 10, 2014 Rule of thumb is still port diameter. Not the flared section diameter though. you could possibly get away with being a little closer then the rule of thumb suggest but only testing will tell. biggest risk is port noise smallest risk is change in tuning freq due to lack of spacing t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Cj Kumz Posted April 10, 2014 Author Report Posted April 10, 2014 Rule of thumb is still port diameter. Not the flared section diameter though. you could possibly get away with being a little closer then the rule of thumb suggest but only testing will tell. biggest risk is port noise smallest risk is change in tuning freq due to lack of spacing Ok thanks alot. Uhhhmmm so for a 10 inch port could I get away with a 7 inch clearance both ends?? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Triticum Agricolam Posted April 10, 2014 Report Posted April 10, 2014 Rule of thumb is still port diameter. Not the flared section diameter though. you could possibly get away with being a little closer then the rule of thumb suggest but only testing will tell. biggest risk is port noise smallest risk is change in tuning freq due to lack of spacing Ok thanks alot. Uhhhmmm so for a 10 inch port could I get away with a 7 inch clearance both ends?? Yeah I think you would be fine. You can probably get away with as little as half the diameter of the port if you had to, especially if its flared. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
alaskanzx5 Posted April 10, 2014 Report Posted April 10, 2014 I'm sure the bigger the diameter and the better/effective the flare the clearance would go down in perspective with the diameter of the port though. So like with a 10" port and a good sized flare you could go down to say half the diameter so 5" of clearance per side with less chance of an effect on tuning, port noise, or freq band changes. however with say a 6" port with a good flare going down to half the diameter might be more likely to have issues then the 10" port. Maybe the least amount of clearance for the 6" port would be 4-5". would most likely also depend on if you at the higher end of required port area or lower end of required port area. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Cj Kumz Posted May 3, 2014 Author Report Posted May 3, 2014 I have been using my 10 inch port now for a week and it doesn't sound that bad but I know it can sound better. I am using 5 inch clearance in the box and 7 inches outside. I have not yet flared the ports though. There damn thick lol.. Without the flares should I stay within the 10 inch clearance?? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
alaskanzx5 Posted May 3, 2014 Report Posted May 3, 2014 With out flares it would help to have the proper clearance. also use more clearance inside the box to see how that works out for you. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Cj Kumz Posted May 5, 2014 Author Report Posted May 5, 2014 Hey I just tried out having 11inch clearance inside the box and I got really great results. More air is flowing and very smooth. Only issue is I have 7 inches clearance outside. So I think ama flare jst the outside. Thanks a lot for info, it helped me a lot. Cheers Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
alaskanzx5 Posted May 5, 2014 Report Posted May 5, 2014 Push the port into the box 1" more. it would give you 10" clearance inside and 8" outside. at least round off the inside port. Get some 1" to 1 1/2" pipe insulation from home depot or lowes and put it on the edge of the port. Glue it in place with a hot glue gun or something. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
alaskanzx5 Posted May 5, 2014 Report Posted May 5, 2014 Post pics to. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.