First Time Fiberglassing

Going to be fiberglassing door panels for 2 pwx6s and 1 ft1 tweet on each panel.

I have never fiberglassed before so this is a learning experience.

It took me a while to figure out how to even start it(shape, size, attachment), browsing through member builds helped me out alot.

I did a quick mix(didn't measure out the resin or hardener... eyeballed it) and have about an 1/8" coating on it. I don't have all the materials I "think" I need so I'm gonna let it dry over night then run to the hardware store and get some sand paper, more resin, more brushes, GLOVES(messy as hell), and start again tomorrow.

Plan is to make a shape of the area(skeleton) add some fiberglass mat for strength. Let it cure then drill out holes for mounting to the panel. Figure out speaker placement, fleece then resin and fiberglass mat then sand... fill.... sand.... fill..... sand.... prime... sand... paint.

I could use lots of tips, I'm ready for a ton of mistakes.

I have some woven mat, should I use that for areas I want lots of strength or would chop mat be fine?

Edit: This is what I'm attempting.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185315-audio-anarchys-lacquered-meso-pods/

1992 Honda Civic CX Hatchback

K24a2 Swap

Went to Lowes bought more resin, sand paper, a ton of brushes...

Made a lot of mistakes.... I think I can fix them when I'm ready to trace out the shape.

Letting it cure so I can pop it off the door panels and add more mat to make it strong then trace it.

Still need to get some speaker rings made... Takes much more time to do this than I expected.

K24a2 Swap

• 1 month later...

I've been holding off on this for a while. Had an hour yesterday and a few today so I started over. I bought dual cure resin last week to give it a try and it's awesome.. hard as a rock after 3 minutes in the sun. I need to add a couple more layers then trim it and add speaker rings.

kErm0Scl.jpg

K24a2 Swap

Your going to want to get the air bubbles out of there.

Looks like you used fleas on that part too? I would have just used a couple layers of glass personslly

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Your going to want to get the air bubbles out of there.

Looks like you used fleas on that part too? I would have just used a couple layers of glass personslly

How should I do that, sand a hole / drill a hole and fill it in? Yes I used fleece originally but the bottom stuck out and wouldn't fit the door. I cut the bottom off and put a couple layers on it.

Scrap this and start over with fleece and just a few heavy layers of resin? The bubbles I have are from the multiple layers of chop mat that wouldn't fit the awkward curves and folds from the fleece.

K24a2 Swap

The bottom (back side) doesnt need flease. Just use matte

The reason to use flease is over the rings to give you shape and something to resin too.

So. Youll have the bottom "mold" ilf the door. Then you attatch your rings to that. THEN you sterech your flease over the rings and attach it o the mold. The glass on that also

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

So just lay down a few coats of resin with mat to grab the shape then get the speaker rings positioned and stretch fleece and resin?

Looks like I'll be starting fresh tomorrow.

K24a2 Swap

Tape your doors off with painters tape, (shape best you can for the cut out) then put a layer of tin foil in the cut out and shape it how you want it. You can use a mold release wax or just glass right on the tin foil (The prep part is most important for the final shape and how flush it sits on the door).

Once you have your door prepped, cut the Mat up so you have 1 full layer of coverage for your base mold (smaller pieces work easier and are easier to work bubbles out) then start glassing directly to your prepped door.

Take your time and make sure to get as many air pockets/bubbles out as possible before you cure it.

Here's a couple pics I found from my first doors to give you a general idea

0ED2FE89-FFDD-439A-919B-1B9CCE851EAE.jpg

E607618D-5878-4192-AB24-19CDB35A3758.jpg

Tuned in on this want to learn how to do this on my truck.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Thanks for the pictures, It helped explain it much better. I attempted it once more and I think I did really good. I don't have any bubbles but I do think I need more mat layers for a little more strength.

qtOY2Nfl.jpg

K24a2 Swap

Archived