Am I right?

OP, I do give you credit for doing research and actually getting your hands dirty so to speak.

One of the downfalls of a DMM when it comes to setting amps, is that it does cot detect distortion or clipping.

What you need to know is what your head units maximum clean volume is. This is done with a DD-1 or an oscope. Once that is determined, you use the same tool to match your amps gain top the head units output.

Where are you located? There is a tool map on this forum. Find someone with a dd-1, oscope, or contact a local shop that has one and get your gear tuned right. Then go from there. Distortion is present in your system far before your ears can pick it up.

Cool thx.

Yeah, after seeing the distortion detect in action, I chose to stay at 40 of 62, then I tried 45, and it sounded great. Not I set it to 50, and tested the V output. Going to set the highs amp to the 50 volume setting next. I will definitely look into who has one locally!

Now the only thing, sound is only as good as it's source. When playing the CD, the 45Hz test tone sounded pretty damn loud. When playing the radio, it's not as loud. Basically, I may just have to sacrifice radio quality-i.e. not play it loud, vs. playing CD/USB quality of the same radio songs. I just need to find un-bass boosted songs. I love 94.1 FM here in Tampa, FL. Great bass songs! Obviously I should not test/set up my stereo to radio amplification. lol.

-Frank

Test Tone CD Track 7 40 Hz Maximum Clean Volume = 52

Test Tone CD Track 8 100 Hz Maximum Clean Volume = 51

Test Tone CD Track 9 400 Hz Maximum Clean Volume = 57

Test Tone CD Track 10 1K Hz Maximum Clean Volume = 59

Test Tone CD Track 11 4K Hz Maximum Clean Volume = 56

Test Tone CD Track 12 8K Hz Maximum Clean Volume = 55

From Crutchfield, the Pioneer CD player they used, they used the 40Hz test tone and the volume was at 52, cool. Close to where I thought it should be!

Still trying to find a test tone to test the mids/highs amp. Any recommendations?

-Frank

Last time I'm posting here.

my pioneer headunit does 62/62 clean others with the same where between 59-62/62. Meaning not all headunits will be the same.

the only way to check for clipping is with a scope or dd1. Using the dmm is better then nothing but still not accurate.

if your using a pioneer headunit and changed amps around then started the problem you might gave blown the pico fuse.

google search pico fuse fix

check all wiring is tight with good solid grounds

use the tool map linked to find someone with a dd1/scope to get it done right.

keep researching and learning.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Well one good thing came out of this. Looks like when I removed the radio to disconnect the rear speakers,the radio kept turning off due to a loose wire. I check all the connections and the positive radio lead was loose. What ever it was, when I re-installed the radio, no popping was heard on shut-off! You could hear the PPI amp come on, a tiny 'thud'. It was a POP before.

As far as the max volume I can do safely, I will try and contact ALL4SPL and drive out to Orlando. My gf would love that. That would definitely by defautlt quality as "See I take you places!!!!"

As far as the PICO Fuse. I will look into that if needed. I bought a Sony Mobile ES CD-C90, but had to return it because it kept having noise being induced into the amp, that transferred into the speakers. BET IT WAS the pico fuse!!! I did have some alternator noise originally,but that was remedied by moving the speaker wires away from the power cables in my original set up. I would say thanks for mentioning that Alaskanzx5, but since you're not going to be reading this........ :P

I still think the crackling was caused by the JL amp draw. It's not doing it now. so NEVER KNOWS BEST was on the money. I did notice my dash lights would dim with the gain was originally at 1/2 turn. still at 10 Oclock dimming is present. Man I want to turn to 11 oclock........I know, I know I will test it first!

-Frank

Archived