Second Skin Audio

Sealed versus 4th order.

I have 4 Boston Acoustics G2 15"s. I've been told that they are better in a sealed box than ported. But this also means they could work in a 4th order, is that right?

I have the room (full size van). Would 4th order be that much louder, or any better? Is it worth the extra wood and time? How much louder would it be?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

i odnt know much about 4ths, but i do know the box would be massive fyi.

as for them being better in sealed, idk who otld oyu that but seems odd to me again i dont know anything about boston acoustics subs either.

but im willing ot bet a properly designed 4th will smash a sealed box any day.

Yep. 2.5 cubic feet per sub sealed. 10 cubes sealed and 20 ported. I've done the measurements, again this is in a full size van.

CleanSierra told me the subs are better in a sealed box due to one of the parameters of the sub. I trust him!

Yep. 2.5 cubic feet per sub sealed. 10 cubes sealed and 20 ported. I've done the measurements, again this is in a full size van.

CleanSierra told me the subs are better in a sealed box due to one of the parameters of the sub. I trust him!

yea he must know about those subs then, cause i sure dont! lol id still do a 4th lol

It has a lot to do with the suspension as to whether it likes sealed or ported. A 4th you can tune whereas a sealed is what it is. The louder of the two would be a 4th order bandpass as opposed to sealed. The transfer function or a seal generally shows a fairly flat response whereas a 4th peaks hard at and around turning. That may be ideal for you. If you have the space and want loud, do a 4th

What frequency would I tune the ported part for? I am reading up on 4th orders in between posts, but sometimes it only takes a knowledgeable person a second to answer, ya know?

Thanks again to anyone that answers.

I found the 4th order tutorial thread. Just in case anyone reads this and wants to do a 4th, here is the thread how to:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/126478-basics-of-a-4th-order-bandpass-enclosure/?hl=%204th%20%20order

I will tune the ported part to 50hz. Now I need to teach myself box software.

Archived