Second Skin Audio

Newb needs sealed box help...

Nubster

Hoping to build the box and get everything installed this weekend. Sub arrived today, amp and wiring yesterday. A trip to Lowes and I'll be set.

Anyways, here's what I'm working with...

- Sundown Audio SD-2 8" 4ohm DVC

- Rockford Fosgate R500x1D 500w RMS @ 2ohm (actually 625w according to build sheet)

- 2014 Subaru Crosstrek

So the plan is to run the DVC's parallel for a 2 ohm load on the amp which will push 625w RMS to the sub. Looking to build a small sealed enclosure to minimize space used in the back of the car. The car, for those not familiar, is a small hatch similar to pretty much any other 5 dr on the market. The sub will be in the hatch.

My main question is...box shape. Does it matter in a case like this? I mean this is a pretty simple build all together and pretty much what I would consider a stock stereo upgrade, not really a big system. Just an improvement in sound over stock. I'm just trying to decide if I should go with a wedge shaped or cube/rectangle. Also wondering how to orient the sub...fire it back into the hatch, angle towards the glass, straight up, facing forward towards the back of the rear seat?

Another question...sealed vs ported in this case. Sealed this sub requires 0.25ft^3 and ported is .5ft^3. So the size of the box shouldn't be too big if I go ported. I am leaning towards sealed though which is the main reason I went with this sub since it seems to be more optimized for a sealed enclosure.

The music i listen too is mostly hard rock and metal but I love some easier listening too...especially acoustic stuff. Point is, I don't listen to rap or anything that needs a more boomy bass, if that matters for the box design.

I'm after more of an SQ sound rather than SPL which I'd think is pretty much out anyways considering I'm only using a single 8" woofer. I may in the future add a second or replace with a 10"...who knows. I'm just getting started here and trying to learn all this stuff all over. I used to play around with car audio a long time ago...back in the early 90's.

Anyways...appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys!

im not the most knowledgeable person, but i dont think box shape would be a huge issue. im sure someone will chime in who knows more. but as to where to put it, just experiment with what sounds the best. every car will sound different, and some cars will sound better with differently orientated boxes. just try moving it around and see what sounds the best to you

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

im not the most knowledgeable person, but i dont think box shape would be a huge issue. im sure someone will chime in who knows more. but as to where to put it, just experiment with what sounds the best. every car will sound different, and some cars will sound better with differently orientated boxes. just try moving it around and see what sounds the best to you

Thanks. Only thing I was thinking is that if I build say a cube and moved it around and found that angled sounds better, I'll have to build a new box or vise versa. Build a wedge only to find that firing up into the roof sounds best...lol...I guess if that's the case with either scenario I could modify the box to sit however I need it to sit. I suppose it would be easy enough to build something very basic and then a second box based on how it sounds best position wise...taking more time on the second box to make it nice.

I would do it like this, It would look real simple and clean, a nice layer of bondo and some matte paint to match the pristene interior or you brand new whip.....somewere oneday I read something.... about how and angled panel in you box breaks soundwaves and they would bounce of back onto the back of the sub and resonate or something like that...... when ever I design a box I try to incorparate any angled panel in it somewere, could just be a peice of mind thing but I always thought they sounded better

Untitled_zps72505308.jpg

Yeah...I think every box I've built before has been angled...but they were in standard cab mini-trucks that were all the rage back in the day. We had to build them that way more or less out of necessity to get the required airspace. We needed the depth of the bottom because the top had to be so shallow so the box would fit behind the seats of the truck.

and I have always heard fireing tword the hath sounds best.... but then again I have never built a hatchback... I mustly do trucks and the kids who drive civics with rich parents.

So probably a wedge shape with the sub firing back towards the hatch/rear glass. That's more or less what I was planning but I wanted to make sure before I committed to cutting a sheet of MDF.

Another question...airspace...Sundown calls for .25ft^3 sealed. Is that optimal or minimal? If minimal, what effect does going more have? Is there a point where there's too much airspace? I'm just wondering because I'm kinda thinking of a wedge shaped cube....something 12"x12" and sloping up from 8" to 12" or something along those lines. I'd be at .54ft^3 with those dimensions before displacement.

Archived