Kyle O'Quinn Posted May 2, 2014 Report Posted May 2, 2014 Hey I'm new here on the forums so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong section! I'm really interested in the X series from Sundown. I wanted an X 18, but from what I read, it would need like 6 ft^3, and I just cant get that much into my 3G Eclipse. I took some measurements for about the biggest rectangular box I could fit, and came up with a little more than 4 ft^3. First of all, I need advice on which speaker(s) to get. Should I just put the 18 in the 4 ft^3 box? Go with an X15? or go with 2 X12's? Whichever we come up with, I'm going to need a box for! I'd like to port the box and tune it to around 30 hz, maybe 32 (which I know is a little high for the X series). The best measurements for an average rectangular box I came up with are as follows: Width (left to right) - 32" Height - 15'' (Which is up to this plastic piece that sits a little lower than the rest) Depth (front to back) - 22" If theres a way to fix some more area in the box, I'd love to know, especially if someone has built a box for the 3G eclipse before. In case you need this info, the car is 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. Also, I have google sketchup for the design if anyone is well versed in the program and wants to send the design that way. Thank you so much in advance. I'd really appreciate any help. Even just the advice.
Cj Kumz Posted May 2, 2014 Report Posted May 2, 2014 With that kind of space I think you should go with 1 15" sub. Reason being that after port and sub displacement you will remain with 3.xx ft^3. And if you want more volume you could also think of using aero ports as the eat up less volume. It would also help if we know how much power you wanna send to the sub. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Cj Kumz Posted May 2, 2014 Report Posted May 2, 2014 With that kind of space I think you should go with 1 15" sub. Reason being that after port and sub displacement you will remain with 3.xx ft^3. And if you want more volume you could also think of using aero ports as the eat up less volume. It would also help if we know how much power you wanna send to the sub. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Kyle O'Quinn Posted May 2, 2014 Author Report Posted May 2, 2014 With that kind of space I think you should go with 1 15" sub. Reason being that after port and sub displacement you will remain with 3.xx ft^3. And if you want more volume you could also think of using aero ports as the eat up less volume. It would also help if we know how much power you wanna send to the sub. Well I'm going to try to put atleast 1500, but more likely in the 2k - 2.5k range.
lex2674 Posted May 2, 2014 Report Posted May 2, 2014 With that kind of space I think you should go with 1 15" sub. Reason being that after port and sub displacement you will remain with 3.xx ft^3. And if you want more volume you could also think of using aero ports as the eat up less volume. It would also help if we know how much power you wanna send to the sub. Well I'm going to try to put atleast 1500, but more likely in the 2k - 2.5k range. The X is a great sub. If you're running into space issues, you could think about a Fi Q15 ported, they require less space than the X and are by no means quieter and will run beautifully off that amount of power. Just got my Q12 in the mail today. Can't wait to get off work.
Soccerballzs Posted May 2, 2014 Report Posted May 2, 2014 What are your electrical plans? Alt? wire runs, battery bank, big three done yet? http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
Cj Kumz Posted May 2, 2014 Report Posted May 2, 2014 Slightly above rated should be ok, and do you have the electrical to support that power? With the dimensions you have given the max box will be about 4.9 cubes. Sundown subs love lots of port so use those same dimensions and set the port width at 4.5 inches and a port length of about 28 inches to tune to 32hz. Make sure you double the front baffle. After all displacement you should remain with around 3.5 cubes... Joe X and other experts should come along soon and give you some great info too. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Kyle O'Quinn Posted May 5, 2014 Author Report Posted May 5, 2014 I decided to do two X12's because of this situation I'm in, and I'm going to do two 4" aero ports most likely. Built with birch. Doing the big 3, working on more baterry and a new alt. 0 gauge of course. Looks like I'm going to just have to deal with the box being too small.
Cj Kumz Posted May 6, 2014 Report Posted May 6, 2014 Smaller boxes have more power handling. You should be ok as long as you feed them the correct power. Just make sure you flare the ports to increase efficiency. Good you have decided on aero ports cause you will remain with more than 4 cubes or so.. Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
timc31610 Posted May 7, 2014 Report Posted May 7, 2014 Is two 4" aeros enough port? My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.