ModestDb Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 For what it's worth, I've spent quite a bit of time with different Camry setups also (however, not sealed off trunk). Most of my experience comes from 95 and 96 body styles. Of the various arrangements I've worked with, the loudest is my current single 15, sub up, port back. I don't have much rattle anymore these days but in the beginning it was insane. Surprisingly, not a LOT of trunk flex but it's there. Mostly it's just roof flex and spoiler waving. I'll upload to youtube in just a few minutes and post back here to show you. 4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm 32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator
ModestDb Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm 32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator
ModestDb Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 Okay I'm not sure what's up with me posting links...or not posting them at all, that is...but just youtube search "1 Memphis mojo 15 1 soundstream rubicon" Should see a thumbnail for a gold colored camry at the top of the list. Flex is definitely an issue. 4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm 32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator
tayodell41 Posted May 12, 2014 Author Report Posted May 12, 2014 Okay I'm not sure what's up with me posting links...or not posting them at all, that is...but just youtube search "1 Memphis mojo 15 1 soundstream rubicon" Should see a thumbnail for a gold colored camry at the top of the list. Flex is definitely an issue. Have you played around with 12s at all?
ModestDb Posted May 12, 2014 Report Posted May 12, 2014 Okay I'm not sure what's up with me posting links...or not posting them at all, that is...but just youtube search "1 Memphis mojo 15 1 soundstream rubicon" Should see a thumbnail for a gold colored camry at the top of the list. Flex is definitely an issue. Have you played around with 12s at all? Not in my camry. I guess I should have mentioned that my response was geared toward answering partially about what enclosure orientation would be loudest if you went with a 15 not sealed to acheive the 140db. I'm not claiming this way is louder than 2 12s sealed off by any means. I'm only offering one piece of the pie that I have experience with to achieve 140db. Think of my post as information just in case the 15 becomes your decision. 4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm 32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator
tayodell41 Posted May 12, 2014 Author Report Posted May 12, 2014 quoteme="ModestDb" post="2789011" timestamp="1399914129"] Okay I'm not sure what's up with me posting links...or not posting them at all, that is...but just youtube search "1 Memphis mojo 15 1 soundstream rubicon" Should see a thumbnail for a gold colored camry at the top of the list. Flex is definitely an issue. Have you played around with 12s at all? Not in my camry. I guess I should have mentioned that my response was geared toward answering partially about what enclosure orientation would be loudest if you went with a 15 not sealed to acheive the 140db. I'm not claiming this way is louder than 2 12s sealed off by any means. I'm only offering one piece of the pie that I have experience with to achieve 140db. Think of my post as information just in case the 15 becomes your decision. okay right now I think what I'm gonna do is 2 12s in a ported box with a baffle that will seal them off from the rest of the trunk. If I don't like it then I will try going up to 15s. My only reason for this is that I'd rather put 12s in a box just the right size than 15s in a box that is too small.
ModestDb Posted May 13, 2014 Report Posted May 13, 2014 Sounds logical to me. Let me know how it goes. 4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm 32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator
JWAudioDesigns Posted May 13, 2014 Report Posted May 13, 2014 What Shok 15's?Also.. Very amusing how anal people get about the term trunk wall.. Do people not know what people mean when they say a trunk wall? Those who fight the term know exactly what you mean so why throw a fit about it? Is it not just a shorter way of saying a trunk box that is sealed off without saying all of the mumbo jumbo? / rant OP, I would personally do 2 12s in a trunk wall / pony wall / pony fence / box built inside of the trunk to maximize volume and also sealed off firing into the cabin.
tayodell41 Posted May 13, 2014 Author Report Posted May 13, 2014 What Shok 15's? Also.. Very amusing how anal people get about the term trunk wall.. Do people not know what people mean when they say a trunk wall? Those who fight the term know exactly what you mean so why throw a fit about it? Is it not just a shorter way of saying a trunk box that is sealed off without saying all of the mumbo jumbo? / rant OP, I would personally do 2 12s in a trunk wall / pony wall / pony fence / box built inside of the trunk to maximize volume and also sealed off firing into the cabin. They are the Big Shoks
TCooper Posted May 13, 2014 Report Posted May 13, 2014 I'd do with the 12's myself. Biggest key is your saying you have the correct room for the box . Where the 15s the box would be too small and not right. All comes down to install and tuning. My experience with building for our 2005 Camry has always been geared toward something to listen too daily and give decent bass. Not had it metered so everything will be subjective. That is also not taking into account equipment, tuning, power etc. differences. So, a general seat of the pants, own experience type thing. I've run a single Fosgate 15, sealed (gave me the response curve I wanted), box in the front of the trunk (up by the seats) with the woofer facing rearward. Could not find pictures I took of this sorry. Bass was good. Had a lot of trunk flex. If I did this box again I would probably try the box in a different location. Perhaps rear of the trunk with the woofer facing rearward or try a side mount. I got good bass in the car, but always felt a lot of the bass was trapped in the trunk as it were and used up just flexing the trunk. Compromise was mounting in the front of the trunk to have useable family trunk room. That never used to be an issue, but guess I can finally say I got old and now have to think about that. I pulled this box as I wanted to start using the pass through with the seats folded down. So, decided to build a single 12 ported box mounted on the driver side rear of the trunk. For this one I built a custom glass box for it using the well and that side of the car. Out of the two, I always liked this one better. Placement I'm sure had a factor as was the difference between ported and sealed. In overall listening I felt I had better response. Still had trunk flex, but not as bad I felt and the bass did not feel as "strangled" by the trunk. For me, ideally I'd have built another on the other side of the trunk to match and maybe run some more power to each, but in the end I removed this one too due to need to carry stuff everyday. EDIT: Been trying to add the pictures, but guess I'm too much of a noob to do that. Won't let me put in and using the image thing just hangs up and won't add the image so I'll have to research and see what the deal is I guess. EDIT 2: Well, I was doing it right, but image box hangs up and won't post or cancel and trying to copy and paste direct to the site won't paste anything so ended up manually typing the whole thing in and that worked. Guess I need some more coffee.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.