Sonic Electronix

Just finished installing my system, and having some troubles with tuning my amp?

Here's my system, got everything installed this evening.

'97 Explorer

HU: JVC kdr300

Amp: Hifonics BRX2000.1D
Subs: 2 Sundown SA 15's (D4, wired down to 1 ohm)

Box: 6.6 Cu ft^3 @35 hz

1 Kinetik KHC 1800 (Front)

1 Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

130 Amp Alt

Big 3

All KnuKonceptz 1/0Awg OFC wiring

I am by FAR not the best at tuning amps, but I could atleast tune my old amps no problem. Well After I installed everything today I went out to my spot so I can tune everything, and after messing around with it for 10 minutes or so, It just sounded gutless.. After checking all connections, and watching my Voltmeter everything checked out fine, but the only way I was able to really get Loud and sound good was have my Bass Knob plugged in, and then have my Bass EQ @ 11 o'clock and my bass knob at 3/4 up. And it was sounding great, but the amp started to get a little warm after 15-20 minutes of beatin.

I know it's not the best amp out there and people say they are power hungry, but i'm giving steady power, At an idle at full tilt I don't drop below 13.8V..

Was wondering what am I missing? Is this amp that crappy? Suggestions?

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Make sure your subs are wired properly and aren't out of phase. ...that's one possibility.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Make sure your subs are wired properly and aren't out of phase. ...that's one possibility.

Yeah I plan on doing that in the morning before work.. This is the first time I've done a whole system by myself, usually have a friend of mine do it. And while I was wiring up my subs I was getting a little Pissed off because I had 8 Gauge wire, which was way to big for the terminals on the SA so I could very well have mess up somewhere out of frustration..

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

I've had 2 of the BRZ2100s and 1 of the newer 2000s like the one you've got. They all get somewhat hot after some play time from my experience. As far as sound goes, check your LPF, SSF, phase, etc. LPF is the upper limit of frequencies you want to send to the sub, and SSF is the lower limit of frequencies you want to send to the sub.

By bass knob, are you talking about the knob that comes with the amp? Just leave that turned all the way up when setting the gain, set your headunit to the loudest clean volume, then set your gain properly. Shouldn't have to touch the phase/bass boost/whatever settings on the amp in most situations.

And when you say a little warm, are we talking you can't put your forearm (sensitive area of skin) on it because it burns or just that it feels warm to the touch

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

I've had 2 of the BRZ2100s and 1 of the newer 2000s like the one you've got. They all get somewhat hot after some play time from my experience. As far as sound goes, check your LPF, SSF, phase, etc. LPF is the upper limit of frequencies you want to send to the sub, and SSF is the lower limit of frequencies you want to send to the sub.

By bass knob, are you talking about the knob that comes with the amp? Just leave that turned all the way up when setting the gain, set your headunit to the loudest clean volume, then set your gain properly. Shouldn't have to touch the phase/bass boost/whatever settings on the amp in most situations.

And when you say a little warm, are we talking you can't put your forearm (sensitive area of skin) on it because it burns or just that it feels warm to the touch

It just feels warm to the touch, nothing to hot where I can't touch.. But you can definitely feel some heat, but it also doesn't help that it was Humid and 87 deg..

And yeah i'm talking about the knob that came with the amp.. So have the Knob @ max and then set the gain, LPF, SSF, and have my Bass EQ and Phase at 0.

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

It just feels warm to the touch, nothing to hot where I can't touch.. But you can definitely feel some heat, but it also doesn't help that it was Humid and 87 deg..

And yeah i'm talking about the knob that came with the amp.. So have the Knob @ max and then set the gain, LPF, SSF, and have my Bass EQ and Phase at 0.

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

I may be completely wrong but could the box be to big? And by it being to big it doesn't have the output you're expecting?

And this was another thought.. I put all the dimensions into a website, and the outside is 10 Cu ft, but the guy that made the box made it double 3/4 MDF all the way around, so it's 1.5" thick everywhere, and on the website it came out at 6.6 Cu ft^3.. Which the SA's recommend 3.0-4.0 cu ft^3..

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

3-4 cubes for a pair or each?

I don't know too much about the size of enclosures for a pair of 15s never mind any other subs. I just thought that sounded too big.

So I'd wait for a legitimate answer from someone that knows what they are talking about.

That and like the guys stated above. Check all your settings.

3-4 cubes for a pair or each?

I don't know too much about the size of enclosures for a pair of 15s never mind any other subs. I just thought that sounded too big.

So I'd wait for a legitimate answer from someone that knows what they are talking about.

That and like the guys stated above. Check all your settings.

Website says for each sub

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Archived