Suggestions for new laptop, its been a while

Looking for something just for everyday web surfing. I will not play games ( as they will be immediately deleted from the new laptop, as well as other bloatware ) or do much editing so it doesnt need to be the top of the line, but would like to somewhat future proof it.. A good processor , 6+ gb RAM, 750 gb HD ..

At the moment I am using my buddies new laptop which he just picked up HERE ... Honestly .. Not impressed, not much if any faster than My 5 year old HP ( <--- specs are below )

Now I dunno if its windows 8, or if im so used to my ol reliable , but the ASUS I linked above seems slower, doesnt load pages as well , and the 1080p screen actually seems harder to read, ( that last part may be because Im old as Fawk ) But it has an i5 which is at least double what my current laptop has, double the memory and a much better integrated card..

Only reason Im looking is because mine is randomly freezing, the battery will not charge, ( even with a brand new battery I ordered, so it has to be constantly plugged in ) the touchpad does not work, etc etc, lots of other little things

SO....... Im just wondering what you guys would recommend.. Backlight keyboard is cool, but doubt Ill ever use it.. Touchscreen is cool... But, I doubt Ill ever use it ... ( its a laptop, not a tablet ) its thinner and lighter... Big deal....

Is there anything from costco or BB you guys could suggest to me? even after a few days of Win 8.1, Im still not sold.. Just seems like an waste.. Like one screen ( windows/desktop ) is for real work, and win 8 screen is for app lovers who want their laptop to be a tablet

• 4 weeks later...

Asus is good, Did you try a bios update on your current laptop? Some batteries need to be "calibrated" before they can be used. Options are in the bios, Basicly, it fully charges and discharges the battery. Also if you're running Windows 7, some laptops had an issue with ACPI which a bios update will fix. Give that a shot before buying a new laptop.

Archived