The Springfield 1911 EMP is actually a 3" pistol which is why I carry it over my 4" XD.

xd1911_zps8e55997c.jpg

Ohhhh okay. Is the grip smaller on shorter barreled pistols?

The whole frame is more compact... Just remember you give up round capacity with more compact weapons ... Its a give and take

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

The difference is in how fat around the grip is. The XD is double stacked in the magazine so it's thicker. The 1911 is single stacked so it's flat. The length is pretty close.

Typically if you conceal, a thinner gun is more comfortable, so even a full size 1911 could be easier to carry than the XD. In my case the smaller gun just fits better. I'm 6'3 and 190lbs.

Does barrel length matter all that much? Obviously I huge barrel won't fit well but is there much of a difference between the 3" and 4" barrels?

A. All things being equal, a longer barrel tends to impart more accuracy at range. At the ranges most self defense scenarios occur at, this isn't that critical.

B. Shorter barrels (generally) = less weight in the front of the handgun meaning less weight to counteract the tendency of the barrel to flip up when fired. If you have weak wrists, or poor firing technique, this will make second shots take longer to get back on target.

These are both fairly general statements, but we're speaking in generalities.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Phil pretty much said it.

Point "C" could be made that a shorter barrel can potentially be easier to unholster and conceal, again generally speaking.

To me it all pertains to your plan with the gun. If it'll end up bedside instead of being carried, more capacity and a large frame aren't going to hinder you. If it's truly going to be carried daily, you've got to consider comfort and concealment. If it's really just to get familiar with a handgun that you -could- carry, you can be a lot less discriminate.

Words to live by " Carrying a gun is supposed to be Comforting not Comfortable" ... With that being said typically a gun that fits your body better you will be more inclined to wear...

Another thing worth investing in is a GOOD gun belt...

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Phil pretty much said it.

Point "C" could be made that a shorter barrel can potentially be easier to unholster and conceal, again generally speaking.

To me it all pertains to your plan with the gun. If it'll end up bedside instead of being carried, more capacity and a large frame aren't going to hinder you. If it's truly going to be carried daily, you've got to consider comfort and concealment. If it's really just to get familiar with a handgun that you -could- carry, you can be a lot less discriminate.

I do plan on carrying every day. I plan on becoming a DEA/FBI agent so I want to get used to carrying a pistol every day. I also want to carry just in case I did need to protect myself or my family. Third, I want to carry just to exercise my rights because I'm American.

Archived