I turn 18 in June and I will be buying a pistol to carry with me daily. I have no experience with pistols. I only work a minimum wage job so I'm hoping to get something for less than $500. So far I'm thinking about getting the Sig P250. I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on a good gun. Thanks.

You have to try them in your hand and fire if possible. To the gun snobs it's a sac relgion, that Sig made a plastic gun. ha ha

Tons of small concealable guns, if is going to be your buddy and go everywhere with you. You may want a smaller 9mm, I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 9mm.

Look at Ruger LC9, Beretta Nano, Karh they make a bunch of small 9s, and springfield amd bunch more companies. Put it this way if the gun is under a couple hundo's is not for you.

I can't name one gun for 250 or less I'd in a defensive position.

To be totally honest for a first time gun owner I commend I full-size gun, but you stated you wanted to carry daily. I love Glocks, not cause all the hype, but because it fits my hand p

perfect.

Definitely need to spend some time on the range seeing what fits your hands and what you're comfortable with. I'm not a Glock fan (great guns, but) cause I prefer .45 ACP, and those glocks chambered in that round have fairly large grips that don't work well with short and stubby fingers. I got a Springfield XD45, and it has much thinner grips and fits my hand perfectly. That's just one example.

The other thing I pay attention to is the angle of the grip from barrel centerline. I like a handgun that I can naturally shoot on target at reasonable ranges without sighting (just like if you had to get the drop on someone quickly, taking time to develop a good sight picture through the sights is going to get you shot.) Something about how Glocks are configured just naturally makes me want to shoot high. The XD, and my Kimber 1911 work with my hands and body. You have to shoot several different handguns till you find the one that just clicks for you.

That said, get a known name brand. You want something that's going to be dead reliable every time, and require little maintenance. Also, plan to go to the range and burn through at least 150 rounds when you first get the gun. Get used to the recoil, the noise, your natural aiming point, ect. Dry fire (without any rounds) and practice loading and unloading prior to going to the range so that you can safely and efficiently take orders from range control and be safe around other gun owners.

If your preference is a revolver, get one chambered in .357 magnum which will give you the ability to shoot .38 special or .357 magnum if you're comfortable with the extra recoil. For automatics, a Springfield XD subcompact is my personal pick though there are plenty of others that are nice too. 9mm is going to wind up the cheaper ammo most of the time, .45ACP 230 grain JHP is my preference for total knock down ability.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Like mentioned, try some out.

Many ranges offer to let you rent a gun for ~$10 and a box of ammo. Best money you can invest to find the right gun. Way the fuck better than buying a gun you end up hating and have to sell for something else anyways.

Nothing under .380 for sure, but 9mm and up preferred.

If you do look at the Ruger LC9, just make sure the front sight has a pin driven through it to keep it in place. If not it's an older one and you'll have to contact Ruger and they will send you a new slide with a return shipping package to send the old one in free of charge. They should have it fixed now, but just in case.

Like mentioned, try some out.

Many ranges offer to let you rent a gun for ~$10 and a box of ammo. Best money you can invest to find the right gun. Way the fuck better than buying a gun you end up hating and have to sell for something else anyways.

Nothing under .380 for sure, but 9mm and up preferred.

Come on where are the likes. ha ha

I plan on going to the range, I was just hoping to get a base of info on what kind to look for and stuff

You got more info here than the state of FL. req for Conceals license..

Man, I hate saying Conceal License .... It's a RIGHT, I think it's in the Constitution somewhere? It must be hidden or the ink wore off some.

You can conceal carry at 18 in Indiana? Here in Georgia you have to be 21.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

You can conceal carry at 18 in Indiana? Here in Georgia you have to be 21.

Yeah I looked it up too, 21 here in MI as well.

So if you come up to MI for anything since you're not that far away, be careful. I know our states offer reciprocity but idk how it goes as far as age between the two.

Archived