ChrispyShimp Posted May 26, 2014 Report Posted May 26, 2014 Hey guys I've looked around a bit but couldn't dig up a solid answer I want to know how I should face the port and the space requirements for this sub. I've discussed it with him and we've agreed on a tuning of 35hz. This box will be in a Single Cab Ford F250 Super Duty. We will be running an Audiopipe APCL1500.1d @1 ohm so it will see some good power. The sub will be a D2. I want to know where you would recommend placing to port for the least amount of cancellation. My truck (in my build log) has the drivers right behind the driver side of the bench and the port blasting the passenger door, and there's a lot of cancellation so you can't hear squat outside. I want his bass to be clean, crisp, and clear, not the thunder mud I have. I can build the box however it needs to be, even with the port coming out of the top of the box, or two aero ports on the side or top, whatever will get the cleanest and tightest response. So what cubic space does a single 15 like (keep in mind tuning will be 35hz) I think I can get up to 4 cubes without taking new measurements and pushing his seat further forward. Later I will post a Sketchup Screen shot with the box all maxed out and I'll know the cubes available. I can do either slot ports or flared PVC ports, either one I'm comfortable with, I think it called for 43" port area for a single 15 but I think a single 6" will be plenty right? I'll get on that Sketchup drawing so you guys have a number to work with, and thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom and experience. Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. Here's my latest build. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/
ChrispyShimp Posted May 26, 2014 Author Report Posted May 26, 2014 Alright here's a Screenshot of the box, full dimensions. the 58" wide is the max, if the port is on the side it will not have but an inch of breathing room so it will have to be shorter if you guys vote on a side port. Also the internal volume is 5.2 cubes before displacements, not bad. I'm kinda thinking sub in the middle with dual 4" pvc ports on the top? Or how should I go about this? Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. Here's my latest build. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/
Joe X Posted May 26, 2014 Report Posted May 26, 2014 Keep the inner end of the port away from the sub, flare the ends of the ports and give proper clearance to both ends, too large net volume can increase group delay so don't oversize the box if you want cleaner bass.
ChrispyShimp Posted May 26, 2014 Author Report Posted May 26, 2014 Thanks Joe but I still have no clue what space to give it lol. 3.5cubes? Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. Here's my latest build. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/
ChrispyShimp Posted May 26, 2014 Author Report Posted May 26, 2014 Okay so now I'm seriously confused on the cross sectional area. The calc I use is not clear on what the xmax value is, is it the total usable xmax or one way xmax? Because for the 15" I put in the 28mm xmax (Peak to peak) and it says it needs 105" cross sectional area, I think it's wrong for 35hz, so it's half that, 14mm, right? that goes for 51" which seems much more reasonable esp for a box like this. I still have no idea what net volume to use, for the ballpark figure I went with 4 cubes but I think 3.5 will work, but that's just me guessing. Keep the inner end of the port away from the sub, flare the ends of the ports and give proper clearance to both ends, too large net volume can increase group delay so don't oversize the box if you want cleaner bass. Emmm, I was hoping for some numbers. the main thing I need is a good cross sectional area and the net vol for SQ. Later on we'll order another HDS315 and another amp and strap it, might have to go sealed then but for now it's SQ. Mmmk been tinkering around in WinISD looks like 51" port area and about 15" long is about right, could go 8" round port or make the box with a slot port, might do that. I'll rearrange some stuff and get a screenshot... Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. Here's my latest build. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/
ChrispyShimp Posted May 26, 2014 Author Report Posted May 26, 2014 Starting to look good to me, I think the area is good, 51.9" by 15 deep, WinISD called for the same length with an 8" round port. Haven't subtracted the port from the net vol but I think I have room to spare so the box can be made less wide, allowing the port to breathe. What do you think, does it check out good with you guys? If you need it the total internal volume of the box is 5.22, and the braces take up 53^3 in each. lower port board is 81, and the port is like 779. I think it's good, but I want your double check so I'm not missing anything, thanks in advance. Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. Here's my latest build. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/
ChrispyShimp Posted May 27, 2014 Author Report Posted May 27, 2014 Hey Joe X I still don't know what airspace I should give the sub, I want to know what the minimum airspace would be while still keeping everything sounding good and clean. Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. Here's my latest build. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.