Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box size and boredom


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, so last Sunday (june 1) I was bored so I decided to rebuild my ghetto current box that had been patched several times from testing optimal port location. (no leaks btw in-case you ask)

Well my old box was 2.12 cu ft before displacements, and right around 1.9-2 after displacements and had a 4'' PP aeroport tuned a hair below 35 hz

I decided to make the new box bigger and utilize a slot port because I'm cheap. The final specs of the box ended up at 2.8 before displacements and 2.4ish after. the port inner dimensions are 4.5'' x 5'' and 20.25 long (including baffle thickness) this puts me right around 9.5 cu in/ft port area with a tuning of what should be 31.5 hz tuning

(I have a feeling the actual dimensions and sizes are slightly off and i will edit and fix in the morning)

the new box is noticeably louder, and i have asked/shown several people and they concur that its not the placebo effect.

I figured i'd have less cone control because of the big box, so i started testing at low volumes and I found that this box actually has a better bandwidth than the aeroport box and controls the cone BETTER than the smaller aero port box. Also I get more flex of panels on my truck (a little a-pillar movement and windshield) which I'm trying to fight with deadener I am ordering soon.

granted i'm powering the sub with an audiopoop ''1500'' :bull::deadhorse: , but it still puts out almost 2x rms of the C2 when pushed to a soft clip which is enough to bottom it out in certain conditions which i have almost done

So my point here is, isn't this box theoretically a bit too big for my single C2 audio threatcon-2 12?

Comments? Concerns? answers to my slight confusion? (no comments on my amp I know what I have and will report off topic bashing) THANK YOU lol

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

 

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

Posted

Technically box recommendations from a manufacturer are optimal for certain power and cone control under certain conditions. If you went from a 2 ft3 box to a 2.4 ft3 that isn't much difference really. If it is louder and handling the power well then good deal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8078 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...