Checking amp and 2nd battery grounds?

I read somewhere that to tell if you have a good ground for your amp is to hook a DMM up to both ends of you ground and check the resistance and it should be less that 1/2 resistance...

I've had my current system up and going for a couple weeks now and sounds good but have some excessive voltage drop even on medium volume. I have 2 sundown Sa 15s on a Hifonics BRX2000, not a great amp but does a good job. Also have a 130 Amp alt /w Big 3, Kinetik 1800 (front) Kinetik 2000 (back), all ran with 0Gauge OFC Knu wiring.

I'm going to check my grounds tomorrow and just wondering what would be a good or bad resistance also what could that improve if I do have a terrible ground?

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Bump

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

I read somewhere that to tell if you have a good ground for your amp is to hook a DMM up to both ends of you ground and check the resistance and it should be less that 1/2 resistance...

I've had my current system up and going for a couple weeks now and sounds good but have some excessive voltage drop even on medium volume. I have 2 sundown Sa 15s on a Hifonics BRX2000, not a great amp but does a good job. Also have a 130 Amp alt /w Big 3, Kinetik 1800 (front) Kinetik 2000 (back), all ran with 0Gauge OFC Knu wiring.

I'm going to check my grounds tomorrow and just wondering what would be a good or bad resistance also what could that improve if I do have a terrible ground?

Both ends of your ground? Meaning from the amps ground to the ground on the battery or the frame/ chassis? 1/2 resistance? Meaning 0.5 ohms resistance or less? Sorry im just trying to understand better. Grounds are always important. In front I got it grounded to frame and engine block to front battery. Back is grounded @ battery and frame and then grounded to the amp. Sounds like you got decent electrical. What kind of voltage drop are you seeing?

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

could be you are clipping.. when i used to run hifonics amps i would have the same issue.. tuned with the dd-1 and i had better voltage. then i seen how the hifonics amps really suck. it sounded just s loud as a 1k amp and i was running the brz 2400.. hifonics amps are power hungry and have a dirty signal

Yeah they definitely arnt arnt efficent.. I'm going tobe getting a new amp In a few months.. If I'm at a red light and I'm idling while beating hard on some high 20hz notes ill drop down to 12.7 but no lower.. I have my amp grounded to 2nd battery and 2nd battery grounded to the floor.pan, I had easy.access to it but its probably not a good ground at all..

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

12.7 Ain't bad but then again in all depends on the amp. i got my amp wired to .5 ohm. full tilt at idle i have seen high 11s depending what im playing. Amp Doesn't even get hot. now idk how well hifonics can take that but in all honestly seeing resting voltage is not to bad. your batteries arnt even working that hard until u drop below resting voltage.. don't worry to much unless ur under 12.8 for long period of time.. then again the higher u can keep your voltage the more your really gonna get out of that amp.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Ah, I can play a 45 hz tone (what I peak at) and not drop below 14 at all and hit a 145.6, but once I get below 33hz thats when my voltage drop starts in granted its only for a couple seconds..

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

what's your box tuned to? Each frequency you play is going to effect your power and independence. Basically your subs in your box really like 45hz, so when you get to far out of that range it typically causes much more resistance ( raises you independence ) And it works harder to play that frequency,. Its can get pretty complex and I really only know the basics of it all but you can get a dvm and a clamp meter and clamp your amp at each frequency ( oscope does the work for you basically if you can get one ) but you can make a graph that shows your power and independence @ each frequency. Its very helpful to know. when I have a lot of time to blow I plan on doing it.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Tuned to 35hz.

'97 Explorer
2 Sundown SA 15's

SQ 2200D

Kinetik KHC1800 (Front)

Kinetik KHC 2000 (Back)

KnuKonceptz 1/0 OFC

130A Alt + Big 3

Tuned to 35hz.

I think that's the hifonics amp then or you may be clipping like he said then. Set your gains right and you will probably notice a difference. If your tuned to 35 and your saying below 32 it drops off. Sounds like you got your HU and gains not set and your trying to get more power then the amp is capable of putting out. I would play it safe and maybe lower your gains a notch until you get a DD1 or scope. Dirty signal can damage your subs and if your clipping you can damage your amp. I have heard those hifonic amps are really power hogs, they tried selling me one when I called Sonic electronix.

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

Archived