Sonic Electronix

New system burnt coil already!?

Yea well like an idiot i burnt my new subs voice coil already just wanna find out exactly why.. so ive been jamming bass since like i was 15 and just bearly starting (or trying to go somewhat big) im driving a 2012 Chrysler 300 limited and i have a FI audio SP4 15 dual 1 ohm on a sundown saz 5000d.. so my car has a stock 180a alternator which i actually think is pretty cool to be stock but i havent got my batteries in just yet. Was planning on get a few d3100s. I know i know everyone says its stupid to not upgrade your electrical but i just haven't got to it not saying im not planning too but damn things get expensive real quick and i just needed time. So i have my sub wired in series to 2 ohms was just tring to test out the new enclosure which is 5 cubes kerf ported tuned to 32hz. By the way i havent got the amp tuned cause no one seems to have a dd1 or o-scope in houston.. amps gain was set to half and bass boost completely off and within 5 min of jamming the voice burns out... so i asked FI and they said too much of a voltage drop but i thought voice coils only go out for TOO MUCH power.. any input???

Yea well like an idiot i burnt my new subs voice coil already just wanna find out exactly why.. so ive been jamming bass since like i was 15 and just bearly starting (or trying to go somewhat big) im driving a 2012 Chrysler 300 limited and i have a FI audio SP4 15 dual 1 ohm on a sundown saz 5000d.. so my car has a stock 180a alternator which i actually think is pretty cool to be stock but i havent got my batteries in just yet. Was planning on get a few d3100s. I know i know everyone says its stupid to not upgrade your electrical but i just haven't got to it not saying im not planning too but damn things get expensive real quick and i just needed time. So i have my sub wired in series to 2 ohms was just tring to test out the new enclosure which is 5 cubes kerf ported tuned to 32hz. By the way i havent got the amp tuned cause no one seems to have a dd1 or o-scope in houston.. amps gain was set to half and bass boost completely off and within 5 min of jamming the voice burns out... so i asked FI and they said too much of a voltage drop but i thought voice coils only go out for TOO MUCH power.. any input???

Yup

voice coils ONLY go out from to much power.......

I thought it would be good for a few minutes at least.. so did i clip it the F out and thats what burnt the voice coil or what? Im already gonna get it fixed just not sure if i should go with FI again or if i should go with PSI for upgrades?? Definitely wont be making the same mistake twice just wanna know exactly what happened?...

get a recone from Fi and tune the gains properly with a dd1 or oscilloscope if you know how to use one.

you clipped the shit out of the coil. only reason it went out so fast. either with bass boost/loud turned on, the bass set too high on the headunit, or something else.

Archived