Sonic Electronix

New system burnt coil already!?

What I don't understand is that amp is rated for 2600 watts at 2 ohms at 14.4v and if your voltage dropped significantly, which I assume it did the amp wasn't even putting out 2600 watts before he started clipping, so even if the amp was putting out a little over 3000 clipped why would the sub blow so fast?

Am I the only one that thinks something else went wrong here? I've clipped the living shit out of my XFL's with my 3.5k wired to 1ohm on a 200 amp alt and stock g34 redtop up front, dropping to high 10's. And I never had issues, even if he was clipping the shit out of it due to low voltage, it takes more than one clipped song to blow a sub of that caliber.

I agree

Are you sure the coil burnt and it wasn't the leads or something? Are you even sure it was the sub and not the amp? Have you checked the leads with a dmm to be sure?

Have you atleast checked the coils with a dmm to see if they read anything at all? And I must say, it's really not a good idea to run that big of an amp without proper electrical...that's a good way to burn up your amp.

Archived