drummahr Posted June 10, 2014 Report Posted June 10, 2014 Hey all, it's been a couple years since I've really done anything with car audio since I had a motorcycle itch that's been sucking all my money lol. Looking to get back into it, but don't want to make a huge investment. Looking for ideas around a shallow mount sub, or possibly just a single 12 in a ported box that doesn't really need a lot of space. Bought a 2003 Subaru Forester so I would like to keep the back cargo area pretty open for hauling stuff. So box size will come into play a bit. I love my lows, but could probably deal with like 34hz+ ( but would love all the way down to 24ish ). Does NOT need to be insane bass, I'm over that stage. Just need enough for an extra kick with great SQ. Not familiar at all with shallow mounts. My last setup was two AQ SDC2.5 12s @ 700rms / each @ 1 ohm, and before that was a Alpine Type X 12 @ 900rms @ 2 ohms. Sold all of my stuff so any recommendations would be appreciated. Amps, subs, decks, etc. I do have a X998 in mind for the HU since I've only ever had Kenwood, but would like some similar priced options / opinions on other ones. The game plan is to pick a sub, then find the amp to drive it, and finish it off with the HU. Probably reverse order of how most build it but that's what I'm aiming to do. Thanks all!
drummahr Posted June 10, 2014 Author Report Posted June 10, 2014 I guess I should mention that I also have been looking into the SoundQubed lines since the last setup was everything I could ask for. If one of their subs could do my bidding in a small box that would be awesome. There was a SDC2.5 15" that I found for a steal of a deal that sparked my interest in them again... Anyway, any thoughts or opinions are welcome and appreciated!
boom50cal Posted June 10, 2014 Report Posted June 10, 2014 There is a few reviews of the Sundown SD-2 8's being used as a SQ sub...praised fairly heavily. It's an underhung design too, which from what I understand, is fairly sought after in an SQ install. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166536-sundown-audio-sd-2-eight-sq-bass-for-all/ Do a little bit of googling. There's a few reviews over on DIYMA that are really favorable also. On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said: Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.
gr8handogoatness Posted June 10, 2014 Report Posted June 10, 2014 Sundown sd-2 8, 10, or 12. DAD amh 10 or 12. Basically any good brand that has a low profile under hung driver will get you where you want to be. I own the DAD amh 10s and love them, but I have them in a big ported box too. Running about 400 watts to them and they slam. Sounded decent in a small sealed box for awhile but my front stage over powers them in a sealed box so I went with big ported. Sundown sd-2 are probably better drivers but my DAD'S were on sale and I got 2 of them for what one sundown would have cost me.
drummahr Posted June 12, 2014 Author Report Posted June 12, 2014 Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll do some poking around on DIY and SMD to see what I can find. Really itching to get a system up and running in the next week or two.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.