Second Skin Audio

Old-School RF 15" Punch Power Sub-woofer build log

I have an all original 12" DVC Punch Power. Are they worth anything anymore?

Na, they are worthless. (Lol Jk)

Wanna sell it?

They actually can be built to be pretty awesome subs IMO. And you could use a 12 spoke frame, if you wanted....

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

I have an all original 12" DVC Punch Power. Are they worth anything anymore?

Na, they are worthless. (Lol Jk)

Wanna sell it?

They actually can be built to be pretty awesome subs IMO. And you could use a 12 spoke frame, if you wanted....

It just sits around to be honest. I think I hooked it up once since I bought it in like 2003 or so. I will snap some pictures and PM you.

Current: Two old school Orion HCCA 12's, No amp currently. Did run DAT Hellfire Prototype.

Old set up: Orion 2NT 15", Logic Soundlabs GSX32D,

My opinion is that they HAVE SUGGESTIONS for a sealed enclosure listed right there on their website. The EBP kind of DOES sway toward the vented alignment. The 12 has an Fs of 47.2 and Qes is .50. I don't know if they loosen a bit, but I heard that Jacob said a decently worn in driver should dip into the lower 40s for Fs. The bigger Zv3s can do 4th BP enclosures better, likely due to the lower Fs of a big driver.

I would build a quickie with a single driver to see what you thought of the response IN the vehicle. That easy you save some time before potentially putting a bunch of effort into something you may not be happy with. I know you dude, and you take your time on your builds and are anal and meticulous. I seriously would hate to see you invest so much time into an enclosure that may not be what would ultimately make you happy and proud of.

but cant the Fs change with different suspension? i mean like putting softer spiders

Yes Miguel, it definitely can. You run into a dilemma going too soft or too few spiders though also. You go too few or soft and you end up with a motor that can tear them up. The spiders are there to keep everything linear and the stroke under control mechanically. They need to be matched to motor force.

That's where my knowledge stops. I know there are your linear and progressive roll spiders and this may be wherein lies a possible solution. You may be able to change spider material/roll characteristics to keep the motor force under control while maintaining a manageable Fs/Qes.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yes Miguel, it definitely can. You run into a dilemma going too soft or too few spiders though also. You go too few or soft and you end up with a motor that can tear them up. The spiders are there to keep everything linear and the stroke under control mechanically. They need to be matched to motor force.

That's where my knowledge stops. I know there are your linear and progressive roll spiders and this may be wherein lies a possible solution. You may be able to change spider material/roll characteristics to keep the motor force under control while maintaining a manageable Fs/Qes.

This is what I was thinking. Especially if they were built on TI frames w/ 10" spiders....

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

then i might look into getting some Ti baskets

Those or Sundown X / Zv4 baskets. You could email Jacob and possibly get them from him direct, along with all the parts you would need.

Just a thought, he could tell you more about those motors than anyone else for sure...

That's the route I'd probably take.

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

i did email them about a recone kit and never got a reply.. i will give it another try

i found this

* -- Both the X and Z v.4 kits / Frames can be retrofit into the NS v.1, NS v.2, and Z v.3 motors; these motors cannot handle the FULL capacity of the new soft parts so a hard bottom is possible.

i did email them about a recone kit and never got a reply.. i will give it another try

i found this

* -- Both the X and Z v.4 kits / Frames can be retrofit into the NS v.1, NS v.2, and Z v.3 motors; these motors cannot handle the FULL capacity of the new soft parts so a hard bottom is possible.

Well there you go! I figured it could be done. And Jacob would have already thought of it.

In the meantime, anyone interested in this 15? I will most likely be posting it up for sale here soon, probably around $200

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Archived