Sundown Audio

Bad Amp?

SMZ2

Have you tried one of these on your head unit.http://www.amazon.com/1st-Source-Torroid-Choke-Filter/dp/B002AUFVWA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1402548152&sr=8-6&keywords=alternator+noise+filter Worked great for me when i used to have a pioneer HU. Once i switched out HU to a clarion did'nt need it, but left it in for good measure,

No I have not. I didn't have this problem with the hu before though. It would be worth a shot though.

Well i didn;t have the issue till i replaced a amp. Thought it was the amp at first, sent it back for a new one. Still same problem. And only had issue on one amp. Then trouble shooted for days with no luck. Then i ran across an article, and decided to try it out. Like i said worked for me. Once i replaced HU problem was gone, but i still left it in.
Do you have a link to the article? Where do you wire it in at?

No i dont have a link, it's been a few years ago.

I wired mine in to the positive just before the head unit. I have seen and read where people wire them in just before the amp itself.

The filter in the amp could be bad or a bad solder joint.

truthsayer

so when you wire just two channels of the 4 channel amp up and have the amp in 4 channel mode, does it still make the noise? what sort of noise is it? does it change with revs ect?

Yes. It is alternator whine the pitch changes when I rev the car. I have tried all of channels and they all have noise.

Okay I got a friend to wire my amp into his system and there was no noise. So I'm guessing it's the headunit.

Okay I got a friend to wire my amp into his system and there was no noise. So I'm guessing it's the headunit.

To make sure, wire the amp back into your car, then hook up the RCAs from his car and if the noise is gone then you know for sure it's one of two things

1) Bad headunit

2) more likely, your RCAs are picking up the noise at some point, most likely at a point where there is a high amount of electrical energy (ei. Power wire, battery, car electrical wire)

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

To make sure, wire the amp back into your car, then hook up the RCAs from his car and if the noise is gone then you know for sure it's one of two things

1) Bad headunit

2) more likely, your RCAs are picking up the noise at some point, most likely at a point where there is a high amount of electrical energy (ei. Power wire, battery, car electrical wire)

He already left before I had a chance to do this. I had also hooked it up directly to the up front battery in my car. I disconnected the hot wires going to the back to isolate it to the battery. I ran some spare rcas to the hu and there was still noise present. Wouldn't this narrow it down to being the hu?

My previous suggestion would be a cheap option.

Yeah I think that is what I'm going to get. Do you have a link to one from somewhere other than amazon? I'd rather purchase with PayPal. I searched around and saw some similar filters on sonic electronics. I have heard they only filter the noise not get rid of it though. You have no noise at all now?

My previous suggestion would be a cheap option.

Yeah I think that is what I'm going to get. Do you have a link to one from somewhere other than amazon? I'd rather purchase with PayPal. I searched around and saw some similar filters on sonic electronics. I have heard they only filter the noise not get rid of it though. You have no noise at all now?

The problem with filters is that it does exactly what it says, it filters, but often times they filter that frequency, reducing sound quality slightly, but if you can't find a solution at all, totally go with a filter!

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

Archived