Second Skin Audio

Subs up, Port back really the best for suv's?

kowboy

I have always had rear-facing subs AND ports in my boxes (no comps, just daily street-beating). I tried my box today facing up (port up too, unfortunately), and it sounded like total ASS! I mean it was probably half the output, and when the sub got to the point of overexcursion, I heard it LOUD and CLEAR! I mean it was terrible. I pulled over in a lot (I couldn't even wait 'til I got home), and turned it back toward the rear. It POUNDS!

Just so you know, I've got a 18" XXX in a chevy suburban, but I'm gonna sell it and do two treo ssx 15's, and build a new box. My question is this: Will the ports facing the rear make that much of a difference? I can't pay for two boxes, so it's gotta be right the first time. Will subs up, port back bang harder than everything rear-facing?  I know that's how Meade's subs are, but with that much power and cone area, he can probably face those things anyway he wants and it'll still pound!! :D  Lemme know what u guys think.  Especially those who've tried both ways.  Thx.

I have 2 '06 Type R 15s (subs back, ports back) in a 2001 Tahoe. I tried the same thing you did after hearing the praise of subs up, ports back also...unfortunately I got the same results you did. I should be getting a new box pretty soon though (subs up, port back) and we'll see.

2003 Chevy Blazer 4drPioneer AVIC-D3Memphis 9 volt line driverRE Audio XXX compsPower Acoustik NB-4 tweeters (x4 on dash)Crescendo 1000c42 Alpine Type R 15s (2 more and new box coming soon) Hifonics XXII ColossusIraggi 300A AltKinetik Hc800 up front and 2 2400s in the backKicker Hyperflex 1/0 and 4 gaugeDDM Tuning H.I.Ds35w 10,000k in projector low beams55w 12,000k high beams

The trick to getting good sound with the ports back and subs up is to have space either between the subs or around the side for the rear wave to come over the top of the subs

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

if your not looking into pounding it out in the lanes and just want a good groundpounder then I would do port and subs back. That way you won't have to worry about loading issues with the roof.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

if your not looking into pounding it out in the lanes and just want a good groundpounder then I would do port and subs back. That way you won't have to worry about loading issues with the roof.

Yeah, I've always had good luck that way.  I think that's what I'm gonna do.  Thx.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of subs and port back or subs and port up??

When you run the subs and port up, you will use up less space for the box cause it won't need the air space needed for the port to the rear doors. I think it's a little harder to tune because of the space from the top of the box to the roof will create a stale spot for the air and sound to move forward.

With a rear firing box you can use the rear doors to better resonate the sound to the front.

Archived