Need Speakers For 1999 Explorer XLT

It's Me

Im lookin for front and rear speakers for 99 explorer XLT,ive look on a few sites and found a few different sizes for some reason.

So I need some help,what is the stock size speakers?

Im looking for good but cheap speakers,got any ideas?

Thanks

5x7/6x8 would be easiest

Ford and Mazda use the same size

You can also use a 5.25" round speaker with an adapter plate.

Rockford Punch and Power series round speakers come with an adapter plate. So do the Pioneer D series 6.75" components.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Yeah, your Ford is going to take 5x7/6x8 speakers.

May want to go to any/all audio shops you can and sample any speakers on their sound boards with your preference of music. You may find you prefer Silk tweeters over metallic or vise verse. There are other materials that are used as well, but generally those are the two types of materials most commonly discussed.

Good and cheap don't usually go together well, you have to sacrifice quality when you go cheap and many of times you're left disappointed.

I myself have been content with Pioneer's A series of speakers and find they tend to provide a decent balance between price/performance, but that's not to say other brands don't have something you may like better for similar cost.

You running an OEM setup in the truck currently or have you an aftermarket stereo and are willing to bypass any OEM amplifiers by running new speaker wire directly to the replacement speakers?

Given the use of an aftermarket deck, are you planning to run subs at some point or are you planning to rely on the full-range speakers for your lows? Chances are moderately high that aftermarket replacement speakers will seem to lack more so on the lows than your OEMs, even though the frequencies withing their abilities are likley to sound cleaner/more crisp. An external amplifier can address the lack of a strong low end to some extent, but full-range speakers can never replace subs.

Speaking of which, did/does your truck have the premium/Mach system? If it has the latter and does in fact have a factory sub, have you experienced issues with turn-on thump of the sub? It's quite common in Fords that they utilize a 5V remote turn-on in the OEM sound system and aftermarket HU's have a 12V remote. "If" you had experienced such issues, there are regulators you can get to address such an issue.

Also, due to there being no tolerance for VS threads, I'm not sure members can even recommend looking into any particular equipment without somehow turning a thread into a VS thread and violating the forum posting rules.

Thanks for the replys

Its not the mach system,its the plan jane setup.

I have a SoundQubed SDC2.5 15" in the back,and to me its doing work. :slayer:

Just lookin for more output when turned up,from my speakers without adding another amp.

Not tryin to start a vs thread,just getting ideas.

So you've got a 600RMS 15" ported sub to keep up with huh, not the easiest task for unamped speakers.

With HU only power, you're obviously going to want to go with more efficient speakers, 93/94dB seems to be the highest sensitivity ratings I commonly see. You'll want to also look at the recommended power range for the speaker, many of times it will be something like 2-xx or 5-xx for rated power, you'd want to try and opt for a speaker with a lower recommended minimum power.

Me, I've not been around a lot of different speakers. When it comes to 5x7/6x8's, it's been Pioneer, Infinity, Kicker, Alpine, Sony, and Memphis I've heard. "I" wouldn't personally opt for anything more than a 3-way speaker, anything more than that is just gimmick IMHO. The least liked of the bunch I've heard was a toss up between the Sony and Kickers, but that gets into personal preferences and I just found the Kickers to be a little... muddy and the Sony's weren't any better, but given they were ridiculous 4-way speakers, the highs seemed to be too... dominating.

I would have to say the Pioneers seems to sound the best to me, the Infinity seemed a bit bright and the Alpine's really seemed as though they needed more power. The Memphis were alright.

Still, you're not strictly limited to OEM size, you can opt for a round speaker as well wit the use of a mounting bracket. It's been argued many times that round speaker sound better... though my ears don't seem to hear a difference between shapes. Still, that open up many more options.

So what is your budget roughly for the speakers?

Some businesses, such as Crutchfield, will give you mounting brackets with your purchase.

So $100 total? That is pretty low, I don't think I'd be expecting to get any thing more than a replacement for a blown OEM speaker, so unless your OEMs are blown, you may well not fair any better with a cheap aftermarket speaker.

Archived