Second Skin Audio

RE Audio XXX 12 in a 4th order

lightfoot

The newer XXXs definitely have a very delicate balance as to what can get it moving and where it starts to be in a danger zone. It's a damn shame what RE did vs the previous xbl^2 models. Have been through dozens of woofers over the years and the old XXX + Adire Brahmas w/ xbl^2 are the only ones i can't bring myself to sell.

2006 Hyundai Sonata Lx

- Alpine CDA-9885

- Rainbow CSX Comps

- (2) 12" Sundown Zv4

- Sundown 5K

- 4.6ft3 @ 33hz w/ 6" aeros sealed off in trunk

- 250a Singer alt, Kinetik 1400, (2) 2400s

- 150.4 @ Dash as of now

just got off the phone with RE Audio tech support, and they said they would not give me a 4th order bandpass design because they always sound "like shit". He (Kelly) suggested I check out PWK Designs.com Has anyone used this guys "blueprints"? His work looks really good.

I know a lot of guys talk crap about Pete, but I'm pretty sure Audiofanaticz likes his design work. I don't have any experience with him. If RE is telling you that the subs don't sound good in a bandpass enclosure, stop calling them, that's a bad and wrong answer.

So, not designing a box, and using a port area calculator to just find you port area based on Xmax, cone area and tuning frequency, the recommended port area I come up with is 142". That's for a regular vented box, I get double when I select the 4th order bandpass option. This is taken from a site that uses Small's(the S in T/S specs) formula for calculating port area. Many will disagree with the formula as they think it's too much, and they very well can be correct.

A vehicle will allow you to get away with a much lower amount of port area than the formula suggests. How much less, well that is an unknown from when you start hearing port noise and such. Vehicle cabin gain is responsible for this phenomenon. Cabin gain is also another reason we are allowed to tune relatively higher than we can for home stereo and theatre applications. A lot of home theatre enclosures will have low low 20 Hz tuning. That works because the wave has time to actually develop in a room. A car doesn't allow the wave to develop in the same manner.

So after all that junk I just posted here is what I would do: get a design with the minimum recommended port area and then see how it sounds. If you have to add, that's another box that would need cut. 142" vent would be basically 10.5X13.5" in shape, so it's a big vent. Tune mid 40s to high 40s for the enclosure. I don't know if JoeX will design you a bandpass, I know he can design them, I don't know if he WILL though. The tuning frequency, typically, is aligned with your sealed resonance of your sealed chamber. This is not a sealed "frequency", some people get confused about that. The purpose of the vent is to control high end roll off(it's acting as a filter or crossover to simplify thinking). Your sealed chamber is what controls your low end and rolloff, your ported chamber controls the high end frequency response rolloff.

I'm not sure this was helpful, I know it wasn't the design you were looking for. I won't design you a box because I can't guarantee you results, plus I'm not there to build it to make sure everything goes as planned. You can try PWK or Ram Designs(he had a website too).

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem... I cannot find the correct enclosure size for the re xxx 12... If anyone is still here and has a good ported box size maby you would like to share specs with me(ie cubes + port length and size) I'd b gratefully gratefull lol I've got mine in 2.48 cubes tuned to 25hz ish with 2 4" PVC pipes and it gets ok loud but sounds bad :-(

• 2 years later...

I have mine in 3.6 ported and 1.8 sealed. 47hz. On 2200 watts. Slams. 

2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE

Kicker CS61234

Kicker 40CS674

Kicker KST25

Sundown Audio SA-12 D2

Rockford Fosgate t1000-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate t400-4

Audio Control LC7i

Kinetik HC2000

0/1 Gauge

Big 3 Upgrade

Beer, babes, and bass.