Sundown Audio

Thoughts on Pioneer GM D8604

adreano17

Thoughs on this amp? I am impressed with the specs. Thoughs on this amp? I am impressed with the specs for the price. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_63974_Pioneer-GM-D8604.html

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

I run this for my mids and absolutely love this thing. Running at 2 ohms, it doesnt even get warm. very efficient and clean. For the price they are hard to beat.

Edit. On sale at amazon now for $122 http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-GM-D8604-4-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00E1BRITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404071586&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+gmd+8604

truthsayer

I run this for my mids and absolutely love this thing. Running at 2 ohms, it doesnt even get warm. very efficient and clean. For the price they are hard to beat.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am. THD is .05% with decent S/N ratio. I know pioneer is not ideal anymore, but with CEA-2006 compliance, I am def leaning towards this. Budget amp as well since my polk crapped out on me. The THD is lower than an RF and JL amp o_O. No problems at all huh?

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Pioneer AVH-p5700DVD | MB Quart Onyx ONX4.125 | 6.5 Alpine Type-S component & 6x9 3-way | Hifonics Brutus brz1700.1d | 2 - 12" Kicker L7 | Custom box tuned to 36 hz | 220A Mechman Alternator | 1/0 OFC Welding all the way back | Big 3 | 2 Farad Tsunami Cap | Deka 9a34 | 20% Tint | 6000K HIDs | Yellow Projector Fogs | Dual Out Magnaflow

CEA compliance only means the amplifier can produce rated power at 4 ohms with 14.4V input and less than 1% THD. The 2 ohm power output is not given any requirements, so a manufacturer can be CEA compliant with a 50RMSx4@4 ohms/500RMSx4@2 ohm amplifier, or whatever they want to put for 2 oh output.

I've only been around early class D full-range amplifiers, they colored the music too much. Newer equipment may well be much cleaner, but I still hear some claim they are not yet as clean as Class AB despite what their specs may claim.

Thanks for the cea breakdown as I didn't know it really only applied to 4 ohm. But I think the current class d full range have developed a lot since you last listened. They sound pretty good. Main reason for class d is because I am stock electrical.

IMAG0023-1-1-1.jpg

Yeah, like I said, "I" have only been around older Class D full-range amplifiers, none nothing from the past few years. Their specs have much improved, I will admit that, but I've never heard one to speak up for them or against them. I have however heard of others claiming that even the newer Mid-grade and lower Class D full-range amps still color the output, but as I said, it's merely hearsay.

And yep, if you look up CEA-2006 testing standards, they mention nothing about any sort standard for measuring 2 ohm output, merely the 4 ohm output. As others on here have stated, many of the higher quality brands don't even bother with such nonsense standards. Many rate their equipment with a lower more realistic 12.5-13.8V input.

Archived