Cj Kumz Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 Hey people I am doing a box for 2 12s. Got a little confused over calculating the port area. Here is the box So when calculating the port ratio is it 23:3 (assuming total width minus the divider in the middle) or 11.5:3?? And also do I total the port width when calculating tuning?? Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
bbeljefe Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 It is 3:11.5 twice so the ratio is 3:11.5. And yes, you need to consider total vent area when calculating tuning. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Robert8252 Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 If the box is perfectly symmetrical cut it in half. If it's 10 cubes with 100 inches of port instead find tuning using 5 cubes with 50 inches of port. 2013 F150 Crew Cab Old Build Log Feedback 2013 F150 Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff
bbeljefe Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 If the box is perfectly symmetrical cut it in half. If it's 10 cubes with 100 inches of port instead find tuning using 5 cubes with 50 inches of port. Why? All you're doing is adding a function to the equation, which isn't necessary. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Robert8252 Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 Because he is technically running two ports. You don't have to do it that way. Just how I roll. Personally I'd recommend a single port instead. Adds deebeez 2013 F150 Crew Cab Old Build Log Feedback 2013 F150 Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff
bbeljefe Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 Doesn't matter if he's running ten ports with respect to total vent area and length calculations. And in this instance, a single vent would be wide relative to height. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Cj Kumz Posted July 2, 2014 Author Report Posted July 2, 2014 The box is a single chamber with two ports. The reason I did this is because I hear the port should be as close to 1:1 as possible to get best airflow. So I figured the port was quite long as 1 Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
bbeljefe Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 One to eight is the ratio you want to stay below so you did fine. 3:24 would have been okay too but a lower ratio is better. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Triticum Agricolam Posted July 2, 2014 Report Posted July 2, 2014 If the box is perfectly symmetrical cut it in half. If it's 10 cubes with 100 inches of port instead find tuning using 5 cubes with 50 inches of port. This is the correct way to do it. You divide your net volume by the number of ports and then calculate how long each port should be like they are all in their own box. I know it sounds like it would be the same as just taking the total port area and total volume, but you do end up with a little different result. JL Audio has a tutorial on it, look towards the bottom of the page here: http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Enclosure+Ports/Tutorial%3A+Enclosure+Ports/287541 "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.