93 taurus sho starting issue

So, have an issue with the taurus that is random, maybe you guys can help.

93 taurus sho with the 3.2 yamaha engine.

Quick things you dont have to suggest.

1. Battery

2. Starter

3. Ignition switch

4. "bendix", starter drive, seleniod

5. timing belts

Ok, so randomly the car will just crank and crank and wont start. Then it will start on the 4th or fifth try or maybe not.

Keep in mind the car cranks fine, and runs great once it is running. I have done some research but the answer is never clear as anyone who starts a thread never re-posts to them and i cant find a solid answer.

One thing i have found is it might be a crank position sensor, and i think that because sometimes when i crank the engine the "check engine" light stays on and it wont start, but if i crank and the check engine light goes off it will start. Some have said that is because the CPS is failing and the computer thinks the engine is not tturning over or something to that effect.

Anyway, anyone here have any ideas?

Fuel pump? Pressure test the fuel rail on the engine and make sure its getting the right amount of fuel. The pump might be going out. Or even check your fuel filter it may be clogged.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

I would start by testing the crank and cam position sensors. Also what's your fuel pressure like? Has it ever died on you while idling?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Fuel pump? Pressure test the fuel rail on the engine and make sure its getting the right amount of fuel. The pump might be going out. Or even check your fuel filter it may be clogged.

Has a new fuel filter, car runs like a striped ass ape and i can hear the pump running when i turn the key on. Typically if a pump is going bad you either cant hear it when witching the key on, or a couple smacks on the tank and the car will start. I have tried this. Although i havent had the fuel system pressure tested and i agree i should. But i want to eliminate more likely problems first.

I would start by testing the crank and cam position sensors. Also what's your fuel pressure like? Has it ever died on you while idling?

Never done that. Has stumbled once or twice, but then again, that could still be a crank or cam sensor as far as i know.

You're right it could still be that. Does this only happen if it's a cold start or is the engine warm while you have the problem?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

it has done it warm, i replaced the ignition switch, and the old one was pretty ragged out. Thought i had it fixed but today it tried to leave me stranded a couple times. I think it is more likely to happen warm, which from what i have seen from ignition modules on grand marquis, is a red flag that a sensor is not working when it is hot.

Grand marquis had the ignition modules on the distributors for a few years and they would get hot and fail, but work fine when cold. That is my logic here too.

Ford's of that era all have coil pack issues. what happens is they devolp cracks in between the coils and leak voltage causing spark plugs to not fire which may cause rough idle or not starting it's more likely to happen when the car is hot as the gaps tend to expand when hot. I always like to start the cheap way and test as much as you posibbly can before you buy anything these old Ford's can have you buying a bunch of sensors and not solving the problem so try to avoid swapping without testing. Do you have a factory service manual?

no, but i think i can find one on line. But if ti was coil packs like you say, wouldnt i have a rough idle?

The car runs fine once it runs, and it only stumbles at idle rarely. I ave noticed it like 3 times in the 6 months i have had it, and if i put my foot in it it just goes like hell. Wouldn't a bad coil pack cause issues under heavy acceleration?

Not trying to argue here, maybe i just need to take to oreiley's and have them put the code reader on it.

Not trying argue either just giving you some more options to look at. If you aren't capable of diagnosing it yourself I Would take it to a mechanic that is capable of scanning it properly the scans they do at Oreilys, AutoZone and the others will still just leave you guessing.

Archived